Thursday, July 6, 2017

Situation Normal.....

Anyone familiar with the military knows how that anagram ends.



Earlier this week someone hit our fence, destroyed 100ft of it, and drove off. Thankfully, only one horse got out. Unfortunately, it was 27 year old Beau and he hit a car, a different car than the one that hit our fence, then ran through a 5 acre field into the woods and fell into a ravine.  Oh, and it was 10:00 at night. It took us a half hour to find him, then another half hour to get him out of the ravine and home. 

Looking down into the ravine. Beau was stuck in the brambles at the top center of the image. 

He did get out of the ravine on his own, and he walked home. I hosed him down and cleaned him up as best I could, took his vitals, offered him water and then a tiny bit of food because all I had for painkillers were powdered robaxin and banamine paste. He ate and drank, and then pooped, and all his vital signs were normal, which was a good sign. I called my vet to tell her what happened, she advised that I'd done everything that could be done right now, short of loading him onto a trailer and hauling him two hours to the nearest emergency clinic, which didn't seem necessary since he wasn't shocky and was able to walk, eat, drink, etc. We decided she would come out first thing in the morning.

Looking up from where Beau was stuck in the ravine. 


He's going to be OK, somehow. He has deep lacerations on both knees, and many, many superficial lacerations and contusions all over his body, but he is going to be OK. He's a tough old sucker, an Old School Quarter Horse and built like a tank. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

This was the next morning, he ate his breakfast like nothing happened!


We bandaged up what we could, he's on two different antibiotics and a lot of anti-inflammatories and strict stall rest for awhile. Well, he can come out for hand-grazing, but no unsupervised paddock time.

All bandaged up the next day. The white spots are liquid bandage for the places that we couldn't do a traditional bandage.


Not that I really have much in the way of paddocks right now. The damage to the fence was so bad that we lost two of our four pastures. So, the three uninjured horses are confined to the two smallest paddocks in the back while we get the rest of the fence back up.

The fence will now be entirely 4x4 and 6x6 posts, and nobody is driving away after hitting it again. 


It's going to take a ton of work to get our little farm back up and running normally again, but it could have been so much worse. Beau has been the best patient ever, and he's got a great team of "nurses" to keep him company while he's on stall rest.

"We're here for you, buddy!"






13 comments:

  1. Oh no, poor Beau! I'm glad he's okay- it must have been a nightmare for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - super scary and what a PITA, to continue on the anagram theme. Glad to hear Beau is okay. You're sinking those 4x4s + 6x6s with concrete I hope. That will stop 'em ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the 12 posts that got annihilated were snapped off at the ground, the others were burst into 2 or three pieces. Concrete foundations wouldn't have helped, the posts just needed to be bigger.

      Delete
  3. GEEZ, a hundred feet of fence?! What drunk moron got away with that and lived???

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did this person manage to take out that much fence and drive away. WTF? Did you call the cops and report it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I'm glad Beau is okay too. I just got caught up in my outrage. I hate drunk drivers.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the cops were on scene. But, we couldn't "prove" that a car took out twelve posts and 100ft of fence, so there was no police report.

      Delete
  5. Poor Beau! And fuck whoever hit your fence and then drove off 😣 I hope karma gets them back in a big way. So glad Beau's injuries weren't worse, and hopefully things get back to normal for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg that's terrible in every single dimension! ugh people make me sick some times. thank god Beau is ok! gotta love those tough old guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such BS! I am glad Beau is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my GAWD. What a nightmare! So scary. I am so glad he is going to be ok. He looks tough, and is probably way less stressed about the whole thing than you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I thought this story was going to end way worse. Glad he's ok, and very sorry about someone not owning up to destroying your property.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad your old guy is going to be alright - he's tough as an old cayuse!

    I'm outraged at both drivers - but more so at the driver who HIT A HORSE and kept on driving. Karma, have at them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...