Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Embracing Mediocrity

As I traverse the equestrian world, I can't help but notice that everyone speaks in absolutes. It's either, "This trainer/person/thingamajig is the best ever", or "This trainer/person/thingamajig is awful and will ruin and/or kill your horse". What the hell is up with that?

Yeah, I know, the prequels sucked. But, I do love me some Ewan McGregor.


I know we're passionate people with strong opinions, but can't we just admit sometimes that everything isn't black and white? I've been doing this "horse" thing for many years, and I've got to say that the overwhelming majority of trainers, people and thingamajigs I've encountered were just average. And that's totally OK. There's nothing wrong with mediocrity! 

Now, for the most part, I don't really care if someone says a trainer/person/thingamajig is "Teh GREATEST Evah!", but what really annoys me are the claims that a perfectly average trainer/person/thingamajig will ruin/kill a horse.

"She rides with that trainer instead of my trainer?! That horse will be ruined in a year."

"That brand of saddle didn't fit my horse, he's going to make his horse lame riding in that brand."

"She doesn't feed the brand of food I like. Her horse is going to die."

"He rides slightly differently from me. His horse is going to be ruined."

(This is all shit I've heard real, live people say in front of me, by the way. You can't make this stuff up.) 

Why do we behave like this? We're all pretty average, our horses are pretty average, our trainers are pretty average, our equipment is pretty average, and all our horses are still alive in spite of our mediocrity. Why are we hating? 

Let's just embrace our mediocrity, because it takes a hell of a lot of dedication, time and money to be average in this sport and we should be proud to be mediocre! 

Somebody needs to make a "Proud To Be Mediocre!" meme. I'd do it myself, but I'm not very good at that stuff.

You could say that I'm pretty mediocre at it......



9 comments:

  1. I've also come to think that it's OK, and sometimes even a positive good, to not feel like I have to have an opinion about everything, in terms of what people do/don't do with their horses - think of it as equestrian agnosticism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you! The other pet peeve I have is when people are paralyzed because they don't think that they are good enough to ride their horse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm i will think on this and text you ideas

    memes are kinda my thing

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG seriously. Half the time I can't even get on social media anymore because of the amount of nasties out there spouting their bullcrap

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dunno. I think there's plenty of things that will ruin a horse, like riding it over a bed of white-hot roofing nails. ;)

    My biggest pet peeve is people who let their delusions of grandeur get in their own way. Examples include: The adult amateur with enough money to buy a fancy horse she has no hope of riding, instead of the solid ammy-friendly lower level schoolmaster she could actually smile while riding and maybe get within 10ft of a show ring. People who are TRYING and watch others for experience deserve a ton of credit, those who don't try and just judge others deserve no respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note to self: get rid of that bed of hot roofing nails I installed next to the arena.

      I so agree on the overhorsed Ammy. There are tons of totally average horses out there that need loving homes, why import something you can't ride? And the Judgy McJudgersons can get bent.

      Delete
  6. Agreed. I embrace my mediocrity haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...