Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Out Like A Lamb....

Well, I figured I'd be really rolling along right now, but I'm not.

I forgot that March also sucks in NJ. It goes from being 80 degrees, which is a problem because I didn't clip my horses and they grow coats like a yak, to 30 degrees and rain/sleet/snowing, which is a problem because I don't grow a coat like a yak. Add to that the fact that my trainer is in Florida right now and my Doctors are messing with my meds because I'm having some flares with my Crohn's and arthritis, and you've got a recipe for one Spectacularly Unmotivated Shannon. 

And to add insult to injury,  I discovered on the first 80 degree day that one of my new meds causes me to itch uncontrollably if my skin is exposed to the sun. Like, rip your skin off itching that is not relieved by cortisone, Benadryl, lidocaine, or any other topical cream and can't be controlled by oral antihistamines, anti-inflammatories, or copious amounts of tequila. I'm going to need an entire new wardrobe inspired by Dr. Moreau.

Me, this summer.

So, I have done exactly diddly squat. Well, I have gone on trail rides, which I suppose is sort of something. It's great for Jack, because he just needs miles in the saddle, but doesn't do much for getting Spider out of Third Level.

The interesting thing about blogging, though, is that I can look back at my posts from years past and see that this is actually a pattern: I'm always sick and unmotivated for the first three months of the year and I always beat myself up about it. I don't know what it is about January - March, but something definitely triggers flare-ups of my disease at that time. Probably a combination of low activity, poor diet around the holidays and my plague-rat kids bringing home every virus known to man, but I digress....

In short, I think from now on I will just take January - March off from serious riding. Instead I'll screw around and take pictures of pretty flowers and things, maybe write some funny or informative blog posts or something. I am already a master of screwing around, so this will require much less discipline and training on my part.

Much easier than riding.


I'll return to serious horse training next month. Maybe. Probably.


Oh, look! More flowers!


Now let's see if I manage to remember this epiphany next January (probably not). 

5 comments:

  1. I love blogging for stuff like that. Seems like a good plan going forward. ;-) I look forward to seeing what wardrobe you come up with. Hopefully there's a cape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solid plan, blogging is great for giving us an honest record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. March is maybe my least favorite month for all these reasons. Weather is unpredictable but probably still not quite what I would want.... Plus it just drags on and on and on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good plan! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am totally unmotivated. Can't even claim a trail ride. Hopefully, my horses are happy pasture pets.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...