Friday, July 11, 2014

Reboot

Horses are a passion, but if you're not careful, that passion will consume you.

I love all of my horses, and I love having them all here on my property, but there isn't much room for breaks. After awhile, no matter how much I love them, I get sick of them.  That's when it's break time.

I haven't been having the greatest year ever. I've lost two of my horses. I've been sick a lot. I'm struggling to get in a rhythm with riding and training three horses who have vastly different training levels, needs, and personalities. I needed a reboot.

We recently took a week long vacation in Truckee, CA.  It's in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, about as different from my little farm in NJ as you can get.  We had a good time, it was relaxing and fun. I caught up on some books I'd been meaning to read. I didn't have to feed or ride horses, clean stalls, mow, or do any of the other chores...... In short, I was pretty bored by about day 3.

The view from our cabin. Note the lack of places to put a horse.


It was nice to get away, but better to get back home. I came back with renewed energy, ready to enthusiastically get back to work!

And then the two herniated discs in my neck decided to act up. When I was young and stupid, I would have just saddled up anyway and powered through the pain with a Robaxin and a beer. Now that I am older, albeit still rather stupid, I know riding when your spine is acting up is a bad idea. Instead, I sit on the couch with a Robaxin and a beer.

And that's where I've been for the last few weeks.

But, I'm feeling much better now, and ready to get back up to my old shenanigans. Robaxin and beer really are the cure for everything. Well, I did do some Physical Therapy, too.  That probably helped a little bit.  At any rate, I've been a terrible Blogger this year and I'm going to remedy that. Writing this blog, and reading all your blogs, really help me keep myself on track and keep my enthusiasm up.  I'm actually thinking of making a little schedule for myself with writing, to keep myself involved and motivated.

It will probably work just as well as the schedule I made for riding my three horses, but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. All of my friends will vouch for my insanity, so I'm going to go ahead and give the schedule a go.

I'm thinking a training-type post on Fridays, A Wordless Wednesday, maybe a Throwback Thursday and whatever else on Sundays or Mondays. It could work.....





4 comments:

  1. I am consumed. Fact.
    Glad you're feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're feeling better! Pain, injuries, being sick, etc. all sucks and totally takes the fun out of everything.... I'm glad the vacation rejuvenated you though. I have no idea how you work with three horses... I can barely find the energy for one most days. Writing in my blog and reading everyone's blogs definitely helps keep me motivated though! When I stop reading, I stop feeling enthusiastic so I stop doing anything so I stop writing LOL! So get to reading and writing with or without your schedule! :D We will keep you on track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were a few hours north of me!!! Glad you had a nice refreshing vaca!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Karley said - you were just a few hours north. Hope the west treated you kindly. :0) I for one look forward to what you have to say, no matter the frequency. :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...