Wednesday, June 18, 2014

What Was I Thinking?!

This has been a bit of a rough year for me. I've been sick quite a bit, plus I've had to deal with the loss of two of my horses. I'll be the first to admit that I've been using all those things as an excuse to take it easy and slack off a bit.

All that is behind me now. It's June, I'm feeling good and I've got three great horses to ride. 

And then the realization hits me..... "Oh, crap! My flabby rump needs to ride and train three horses!"

So, I made myself a schedule. It was an excellent schedule, in which Spider was ridden 5 days a week, Jack was ridden 4 days a week (because he's only 4), and Spots was ridden 3 days a week by me and gave my kids a lesson 2 days a week. I only had to ride two horses a day for 6 days a week, and none on Sunday. It was perfect.

It was perfect, until I realized that Spots needs a little more training than what I can give him in 3 days a week, and if there's bad weather I ain't riding anybody, so then I end up playing catch up the next day. So, my schedule is now "Ride as many horses as you can in between all your other chores and crap you have to do and hope they all get ridden". 

When I was younger, I used to shake my head in wonder at the women who would pay me to ride their nice horses. I just couldn't figure out why on earth they wouldn't want to ride their horses themselves.

I totally get it now, and I will never disparage the middle aged lady who wants someone else to ride her horse a few days a week again.   I can't wait for my kids to get old enough to train some of these horses all by themselves!

Ears. All I see is ears.




All day.
All night.




  

7 comments:

  1. I'm one of those older women who wants to ride their own horse, but would pay you to ride him some of the time. I've discovered, for one thing, that it makes my riding so much easier when a younger person rides him part time. He's more likely to stand still when I saddle him and when I'm getting on. Those two things can wear me out before I even get on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ears are good, very, very good. I also try to ride my 3 at least 5 times a week each - it is difficult sometimes, and with Red recently I've been trying to ride almost every day as part of his rehab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had that problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I don't think I will ever own more than one horse at a time. I would got a bit batty trying to find time to do all the things with all the horses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, riding three is a challenge. When all my boys were in work, I would ride two, longline or lunge one. Then I'd have an off day for one while I worked two. The key was to mix up the kind of work I did between trails and ringwork, and also to mix up the time. Some days, a horse might get only 15-20 minutes of exercise.

    All that being said, right now, due to still recovering from broken hip--I am not riding anyone at all.Not sure where that's all leading, but the Boys don't seem to mind too much....yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!!!!! The ears pictures cracked me up! I can't even imagine having to ride three. Yikes! I have trouble dragging myself out to ride one sometimes. Have fun!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...