Sunday, May 18, 2014

Seeing Spots

Our family got a little bigger last week!

And much more colorful!


I've been looking for a new pony since shortly after Matilda's untimely death last year.  Finding the right pony isn't an easy task, particularly when children are involved.  At first, the kids refused to even look at anything that wasn't dark bay.  Dark bay is not a common color in ponies, let me tell you!  Eventually, I did convince them to widen the search criteria, but I still had my own laundry list.

The pony needed to be 13-14 hh, because I did not want anything that could squiggle through my fence again!  Also, I need to be able to ride it for the kids.  I'm pretty short, but I feel silly on anything shorter than 13h.  That height will also last them for awhile.  I don't want to replace another pony anytime soon, or ever, actually.  They can go straight from a 13-14 hand-er to a horse.

I wanted something young-ish, under 10 years old.  Again, because I don't want to have to replace another pony.  But, it also had to be quiet and sensible.  A young pony that doesn't act like a young pony.

It also needed to be very versatile. My kids are 4 and 6 years old. They have no clue what kind of riding they want to do yet, so I need a pony with the potential to do it all.  I definitely do not want to have to replace a pony because the kids decide they want to rodeo and I bought a Hunter pony!

I looked at a lot of ponies, but I kept coming back to one.

Mr Hottspott.  How great is that name?


Mr Hottspott is a 2007 Pony of the Americas standing 14 hh. He goes English and Western and jumps.  He's a sensible little fellow, but has a motor on him when you press the right buttons.  When you don't press the buttons, he's happy to just mosey along.   And he loves the kids!

She dresses herself.


I love a chestnut, and I love me some spots. Even though he is the kids' horse, I'm going to have to put some show miles on him myself before the kids can start taking him out to shows.  I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't really excited about riding down centerline on an obnoxiously colored pony named Mr Hottspott!

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! We're all just in love with him! Except Spider, Spider is insanely jealous of him. But that's just Spider, he'll get over it.

      Delete
  2. SO awesome.
    Officially jealous of your, um, I mean your kids', new pony. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, my husband still totally thinks I bought him for the kids. ;p

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness he's adorable! And I love his name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone needs a spotted pony . . . very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PONY!!!! He's cute, and that's the fun of being small enough to ride the large ponies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh what a gorgeous little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your new pony. I also have a POA.sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw him on Facebook. He is adorable and I love his attitude towards the children.

    Great idea choosing his size so you can ride him too. That should keep him even better behaved and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome pony he will be!! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I'm so jealous!!!!! I love spots (Appys, POAs, Knabstruppers, etc.)!! He's adorable and I love the name. Congrats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...