Saturday, April 5, 2014

Trying New Things

I've wanted to go on a Hunter Pace ever since I found out that the vineyard down the street from me holds them twice a year.

I didn't actually know what a Hunter Pace was, but I figured anything held at a vineyard had to be good.

Well, today Spider and I finally got to go on one!  Turns out, its a thing where you ride through the woods and there's prizes for whoever rides the fastest or the best or something.  I'm actually still a little fuzzy on the details.  But, who cares about the details?  We won our division!

This is the first blue ribbon he's ever gotten where he wasn't the only horse in his class.


I was just going to do the "for fun" ride, but then my friend convinced me to do the Optimum division instead.  And by "convinced", I mean my friend said, "You're doing the Optimum division with me".

So, we did the Optimum division as a team, then went back out and did the trail again with some other friends just for fun.

Spider had a blast.  He loved trotting and galloping through the trails on the timed ride, but then he settled right down and happily moseyed down the trail for the fun ride.

Moseying.


We will definitely be doing that again!


7 comments:

  1. Sounds so fun! Hoping to try something similar this summer. There is a hunter pace type deal in August, but I don't think they have a competition aspect to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually a team rides the course in the morning at what they consider a "Hunting pace." Then the team that rides closest to that ideal time wins. Some paces have a "Fastest time" division too. Haven't seen one of those in a while. Keeps riders from exhausting their horses. "Optimum" usually means closest to ideal time. Trail paces usually set a slower time, but the last one we went on they must have ridden close to a hunter pace with lots of trotting and cantering. Really fun stuff as you have no idea how to win and can just go out and have a good time the way you all did. Congratulations! Spider looks good in blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time!
    The turkey trot at the Horse Park is similar. Harley and I won third two years in a row and all we did was ride at a comfortable place and have fun. There were over 40 horses in the open division. I would never place over that many people in any other venue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are my favorite things to do with horses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like so much fun! Congrats on your ribbon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...