Friday, April 11, 2014

Things I Did While I Wasn't Here

My apologies to The Bloggess for ripping off her title, but it seemed appropriate.  I've been a rather rotten blogger lately, mostly because I never have a minute to sit down and write.  Spring time brings all the chores: clearing winter flotsam, preparing the garden and pastures, and grooming fuzzy, filthy horses.

Today I'm ignoring my chores because it's a beautiful day, and also because I needed to make my daughter a photo book of Matilda for her birthday.  I've been procrastinating on that, mostly because I knew going through all the pictures would be a colossal pain in the neck.  My pictures are spread across several different types of social media and devices, so I had to hunt them all down and upload them to the site I made the photo book on. In the process, I found tons of cool pictures that I've taken of stuff that happened over the last couple months and just never got around to posting about.

So, here they are, in no particular order:

1) I bought a stock tank, because Jack kept trying to swim in my water tubs and that breaks them.  The new tank was only up for two hours before Jack tried to get in it.  Sadly, I didn't get pictures of that.


Checking out his new wading pool.




2) I tried to cut off my pinky finger with a corn knife.  I don't recommend that experience.  I didn't get the whole finger off, but did manage to remove the fingernail and a lot of the first knuckle.  I had to get a tetanus shot, too.

This is a corn knife. It's supposed to be used for cutting down heavy brush, not fingers.

3)  Jack had a birthday party! His birthday was March 31st and he is now officially 4 years old!  He got treats and groomed and absolutely loved it.


Happy birthday, Jack!

He loved his party so much, that he didn't want to go back in the pasture when it was over!

"No! I wanna go back to my party!!"



4) My son and I helped deliver a foal!

Just minutes after birth.
My friend, who is also my neighbor, called me one morning in a panic. Her mare had started labor, but the foal was stuck and the mare had stopped pushing.  The vet was on the way, but I was closer.  So I grabbed up my son (my daughter was already at school) and off we went to help.  When I got there, I found my friend armpit deep in the mare.  She had her cell phone balanced on the mare's rump with the vet on the line.  With the vet's guidance, she repositioned the foal and got the front feet out of the birth canal. We each grabbed a foot and pulled the foal free.  It was gross, messy and absolutely amazing.  My son watched the whole thing from the stall door.  He thought it was great, and got to help dry the foal off afterwards.

Both mare and foal are doing well and my son has an awesome story to tell!






2 comments:

  1. The foal story was so amazing that I almost forgot about your pinky. Eek. Awesome about the birth and that your friend was able to reposition the foal via cell phone instructions. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness what a cool experience getting to deliver the foal! The pinky cutting off thing... not so much. I hope your nail grew back normally. Happy birthday Jack!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...