Monday, February 3, 2014

Snowy Days Are Boring

We're having another winter storm today, although this one isn't too bad.  It's mostly sleet, with a little dusting of snow here and there.  It's still miserable weather, though.

My kids are out of school for yet another snow day (it's the 4th or 5th this year) and they're driving me nuts.  I've spent most of the day hiding upstairs, messing around on the internet.  I ordered my seeds for the spring, read some blogs, screwed around on Facebook... very productive things.

About an hour ago I heard the horses running around, so I went downstairs to see what they were doing.  I got to the window just in time to see Spider, who turned 19 this year, racing around like a 3 year old with the actual 3 year old, Jack, hot on his heels.

They were having a grand old time playing, until Spider mis-judged his ability to stop/turn, skidded about 10 ft through the mud and snow and fell down.  He slid to a stop just inches from the fence with all four feet in the air while my heart leapt into my throat.

This is why he's a Dressage horse, not an Eventer!


Without missing a beat, he jumped back up and took off in the opposite direction, running down Jack in the process.  That started the game anew, and I watched the two spar for a few minutes before heading out to asses the damage the two idiots might have inflicted on each other and my fence.

They're both fine, and so is the fence.

One of the things I love about Thoroughbreds is that they never, ever grow up. (Even though this refusal to grow up causes me frequent near-heart-attacks)

4 comments:

  1. Hahahaha love horses, always keeping us on our toes!

    Hope the weather calms down for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Spider didn't bust his a$$! Definitely got a case of the winter blahs down here. Every day gets us closer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad everyone's OK (so far)! They know how to give us a scare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we are better off up here with some 9 inches of snow. At least the mud is way under it. I haven't seen my Boys frolicking. Not sure why, but I just might have missed all the fun. There certainly are a lot of horse trails through the paddock snow.

    I remember once when my big TB did something similar but instead he tried to stop before the fence and ended up sitting on his butt with his nose nearly at the fence post. Silly boys.

    Glad the fence and Spider are none the worse for wear. You have to wonder how much silliness and near disasters you miss when you are not watching.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...