Thursday, January 9, 2014

Good Riddance To Bad Rubbish!

Good bye, 2013! You were a rotten year, and I'm not sorry to see you go.



It's 2014 now, and I'm looking ahead.  It's the Year of The Horse (Well, it's not technically The Year of The Horse until the new moon, but whatever).  I'm sure it will be an auspicious year.

I will be continuing in my role as Show Secretary/Manager for my local USDF GMO.  We've got seven shows planned for this year, so that's going to keep me busy.  I really enjoy doing it, too.  It gets me out and about and meeting new people, which is important because, left to myself, I'm quite happy to be a hermit. But, there can be no progress if you're living in a vacuum, you've got to get yourself out there. It's important to go out and see what's going on, be exposed to new ideas, have your ideas challenged. Plus, I've met a lot of great new people this year by putting myself out there.

Speaking of having ideas challenged, I'm terribly behind in updating about Jack's progress.  He's definitely a challenging horse, but not in the way most of us think of when we think "challenging horse".  At first I thought he was really dumb, but then I remembered that intelligence is simply the ability to solve a problem. Jack's not dumb, he just doesn't see any problems, ever.  He's a very happy-go-lucky fellow.  So, I've changed my training with him entirely.  We're doing mostly positive reinforcement now (aka "clicker training", although I'm not doing strict, purist clicker training). That's a post for another day, though...

Right now, I need to get off the computer and go ride Spider, because I entered him in a schooling show this weekend and I haven't ridden in over a week.  Yup, I'm already getting off to a good start this year!





2 comments:

  1. Oh, I want to hear more about Jack. Good luck at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2013 was a pretty bad year for me too in many ways. I am not sorry to see it go.

    Wishing you a much happier 2014. And wishing you lots of good saddle time. Looking forward to hear how the schooling show goes!

    As for Jack....most TB's I've met are pretty darn smart. I'm actually glad to hear Jack is not a worrier. Apparently, he has a lot of confidence in himself and the world. Positive reinforcement is a good approach with a horse like that. I'll be interested to hear how things go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...