Friday, January 31, 2014

Blankets Are A Real Pain

Literally!

Poor Jack has developed a blanket rub in a rather awkward spot. I've never seen anything like it  before, it actually took me a few minutes to figure out what had happened.  The culprit seems to be an oddly placed seam on the inside of the blanket.  You can see it in the picture, there.  A fleece cooler underneath the blanket will take care of it, I'm sure.  Trouble is, Jack is a giant beast of a baby and I don't have a fleece cooler that fits him.  The local tack store didn't have one either, which means I have to order one.  But, I sort of need it now!

I managed to find a stable sheet that would cover his butt, hopefully it won't rub his chest or withers.  The material is a little thin, though.  I'm hoping it will be enough.  I also fashioned a "patch" for the seam out of my favorite material:

If it can't be fixed with duct tape, it's probably not worth fixing.

While I was at it, I repaired the rip in Vinny's blanket with some duct tape, too.

Snazzy
This weekend it's supposed to get up into the 50s (tropical!), I'll be able to pull the blankets off and do better repairs then.

Hopefully we'll be able to get the tractor up and running this weekend, too.  At this point, we're not 100% sure of what all is wrong with it.  We know it got too cold, and we know we killed the battery trying to get it started again.  (It died in the middle of the driveway, too far away from the heater and the garage.  We had to get it moving again by any means necessary.  We weren't exactly nice.)  We think the fuel filter is also clogged and that it might need new glow plugs.  Who knows.  We'll get it figured out this weekend.


4 comments:

  1. Just got my tractor back after paying a king's ransom. Killed the battery for sure, and in the process shorted the starter. Could be the same problem?

    I now have a battery trickle charger to keep on it and might get an engine block heater. Diesels just don't do well in the kind of cold weather we've been having. *sigh*

    The only problem with duct tape I've found with my Boys is that the tape makes a great target for biting practice. Otherwise, as usual, it's great for mending. Hope the patch does the trick for Jack. That's a pretty nasty rub. Poor boy, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a crazy spot for a rub! Glad you were able to figure out a temp fix :) Love the duck tape!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ow...that rub looks ouchy! Try some coconut oil on that bad boy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...