Friday, December 20, 2013

Matilda

Yesterday we lost a member of our family.  Our little Matilda has died.




Matilda was never easy, she was a pony and a mare and had a double dose of attitude.  But, she was always very kind and careful with the kids.  She never bucked or ran off with them.  She was always so careful around them when they groomed her.  She loved to be groomed, and the kids were more than happy to oblige.

My daughter learning to trot.

My son learning balance.






I bought Matilda when my daughter was just a toddler, so that she could have a little pony to practice her horsemanship on.  Spider and Vinny were too big for her to really learn on.  When my son was born, he learned how to groom and ride on Matty, too.



















I wish I'd taken more pictures of them with her.  I was always so focused on supervising and teaching them, I never had time for pictures.

















With adults and the geldings she was completely different.  She was a tough little cuss who never took shit off of anybody.  She may not have been very tall, but she was bigger than all of us, and loved to prove it.  I saw her kick the geldings right in the face on many occasions, and she'd give the same treatment to any adult who disrespected her.  She earned our respect, and in return we all earned hers.



The geldings needed frequent reminders.


Matilda always felt that the fences and gates were just suggestions that didn't really apply to her.  We did everything we could think of to keep her in, and we thought we'd finally gotten a fence that would hold her.  She hadn't escaped in over a year.  But yesterday she got out and, for some reason, went out to the road.  She was hit by a car and killed.


Wrong side of the fence, circa 2009.


The driver is fine, thankfully.  They weren't driving very fast.  The car struck her right in the head.  She was killed instantly.

I wasn't expecting to lose her, not like this, not now.  I thought for sure that Vinny would be the next to go.  It's easier when they're old and have lived a full life.  Matty was only around 10 or so years old.  I used to say that, when I got too old to ride, I would buy her a little cart and make her haul me around in it.  I thought that she might even be around to teach my grandkids to ride, like she taught my kids.  Ponies are supposed to live a long time.  She was supposed to outlive Vinny and Spider and maybe even Jack.

I wanted to do a cute little Pas De Deux with her and Spider someday.  




I'm so sorry, Matilda.  You deserved so much more than this.  Your story wasn't over yet.



We all miss you, Matty.

14 comments:

  1. I am so sorry - she seems to have been one of those special ponies. We never know how long they're going to be with us, and their loss is never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh I am so incredibly sorry. :( There are no words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, I'm so, so sorry! She was a wonderful little girl. I wish words could make everything better. :( *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very sorry. How unbelievably sad. RIP fiesty, little Matilda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Shannon, I am so very, very sorry. At times like this all I can do is share your sorrow and offer you all the love I can send your way. This is such a terrible and tragic way to lose your sweet little girl. I know how much your heart aches.

    RIP, Matilda, you were well loved and will forever be in all our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't believe my eyes in reading this. Can't imagine the shock and grief. So, so sorry. I'm hoping your other horses comfort you with their warmth and love. You wrote a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is truly tragic, I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so so so sorry for your loss, it's always harder when your not prepared. RIP sweet girl, thinking of you all

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Shannon, I just read this having been away from Blogger for a very long time. This is a horrible shock, and such a heartbreak. My deepest condolences to you and all who loved Mattie.

    It was too soon, but she had a wonderful full life where she was loved while being able to maintain her dignity as pony and more importantly, BE a pony.

    Thank you for sharing her stories with us. And now, we grieve with you.

    Kind thoughts your way...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...