Saturday, December 28, 2013

Healing

Merry (late) Christmas!

Jack was selected to wear the Christmas Hat this year, because Spider and Vinny were totally being Party Poopers.


Thank you all so much for your kind words and thoughts.  It really means a lot to us.  We are still missing our Matilda, but every day gets a little better.  Yesterday I saw the boys playing again, for the first time since Matilda's accident.  It lifted my spirits quite a bit, the atmosphere around here has been so somber.

Horses grieve just the same as we do, they may not shed tears or have elaborate rituals, but their sense of loss is just as real as ours. I was reminded of this by the boys' surprising reaction to the tractor after Matilda's death....

The boys have never cared much about the tractor. I've used it many times in the pastures without them bothering me. But on the first day I drove the tractor into the pasture after Matilda's accident, the boys very quietly walked up and surrounded me. I stopped the tractor, and one by one, they filed up to inspect the bucket.  That's where we had put her body, to get her off the road after the accident, and I guess it still had her smell in it.

They stood side by side and very carefully, very thoughtfully sniffed the entire bucket over.  They would stop periodically to touch each other's noses, and then go back to their inspection.  It was the sweetest, saddest thing I've ever seen.  After a few minutes, I got off the tractor to stand with them in front of the bucket and all four of us paid our respects to our little friend together.

        Matilda was always far too interested in the tractor. I think she would have stolen it and gone on a joy ride if she could have figured out how to work it.





5 comments:

  1. Such a touching post. Hoping Mathilda's loss will get easier to bear with time...

    Best wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to you and yours! (very jealous of your tractor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh boy, here come the tears. It is good that you gave them time to inspect and smell and wort things out. Of course I know you know this.

    Merry Christmas and Hopefully a Happier New Year is on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a very special occasion - glad you were there to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in tears again and have been every time I think of this tragedy. I am so glad you and your boys were able to share the tribute to sweet little Matilda. I know it's hard, but I think it was good for all of you. Animals understand loss far better than we do and in their way, as they comforted each other I hope they were able to comfort you.

    May the holiday season bring better days and sweet memories to make you smile more and more each day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I KNOW horses are aware of loss and that they grieve as well. When I lost a mare in 2010, Speedy G, my Arab gelding, gave me a very special moment when I returned to the barn after taking Montoya to the vet to be euthanized. I am glad your equine family took a quiet moment to mark the passing of a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...