Friday, August 2, 2013

New Things

Several years ago I noticed that every time I have a birthday, I get a year older.  So, I decided to stop having them.  Problem solved.

But, my husband refuses to acknowledge my lack of birthdays because he wants me to be old, and he insisted that I go buy things for the birthday that I didn't have last week.  That's very sneaky of him, because it's not like I'm going to say, "No, I don't want to go buy things."

First on the list was new breeches.  I haven't bought a new pair of breeches in so long, the company who made the last pair I bought is no longer in business.  Which is a shame, because they were nice breeches.  

Since it's been so long, I don't know much about the new brands and styles.  But, a little while ago I had stumbled upon a blog post reviewing the Smartpak Piper breeches. The review was positive, and the breeches aren'y too expensive, so I decided to give them a try.  And they're pretty great!  But, because it was forever ago in blog time, I can't remember who the blogger was that reviewed them.  If it was you, leave a comment so I can thank you properly and link your post!

I got two pairs of the Smartpak Piper breeches, one in "wheat" and one in "blue jean".  The "blue jean" is really just navy blue, but it's still a nice color.  I was a little hesitant about getting low rise breeches, but they're not really low rise on me.  They fit right on my waist, as opposed to the old style breeches that came all the way up to my ribs.  My favorite feature is the material on the calves.  It's a lightweight spandex type material, with none of that obnoxious velcro tab nonsense.  It fits smoothly under my boots without bunching or rubbing.  Very nice!

Next on my list was some new books.  I've been wanting to get Carl Hester's "Real Life Dressage" forever, but it's always on backorder.  As it happens, it wasn't on backorder last week and I was able to get it!  And it's great!  It's not a "manual", like the old Master's tomes.  It's the story of how he brought along five different horses of varying age, temperament and conformation.  He talks about the different approaches he used based on each horse's natural tendencies and he doesn't shy away from the sometimes "ugly" side of training.  So many of these training books give the impression of "This is what I did and then the horse was super awesome and we won everything".  Not this one! Carl makes it clear that this is a process and, even with the best training, sometimes horses are still assholes.

And, because you should always get more than one book so they don't get lonely during shipping, I also got Susan von Dietze's "Rider and Horse Back To Back".  But, I haven't read it yet... I was too engrossed by Hester's book. I did thumb through it a bit, and it looks good.  I have her other book, "Balance In Movement" and it's quite good, so expect this one to be the same.

And finally, I got a new dump cart.  That wasn't a planned thing, or even something I wanted.  The old dump cart was fine, until it suddenly wasn't.

"Well, there's your problem" -Jamie Hyneman


This catastrophic failure occurred on the day after my theoretical birthday, which prompted my husband to exclaim, "I know what to get you, I'll get you a really nice dump cart!"

And he did.

It even matches the lawn mower.  Sort of.  Actually, I should paint the rims yellow. 




5 comments:

  1. Your husband is awesome. I like his go buy yourself things trick. ;D

    Will look into Carl Hester's book - it sounds good. I just finished Whole Horse, Whole Heart by Mark Rashid. Not a manual either, but chock full of stories that resonate and make you think. Loved it.

    Happy belated non-(as in you didn't get any older)- birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubs has me make a wish list on Smartpak, and he chooses a couple of things from there, so it's still a surprise. :) Having a significant other who is supportive of our equine passion makes such a huge difference.

    Happy belated unbirthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, nice dump cart. One of my favorite presents from years ago was a nice new wheelbarrow. We horsesomen have unique taste in gifts.

    Happy Birthday, even if you choose to ignore it. Perhaps we should just call it "Yourday!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy "Not a birthday"

    Love the cart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for new stuff! Just ignore the reason why :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...