Monday, July 8, 2013

Liebstered

I've been awarded the Liebster Blog Award thrice, which is fun because I haven't had this award before.


Liebster is German for "beloved and valued", and to accept it I now have to do the hokey pokey.



No, wait, that's not right, I have to thank the person(s) who nominated me...


And I do thank them, because it's so great to be acknowledged!  I was awarded by Saiph Torren  of Wait For The Jump,  Dragon of I Trot On and Checkmark 115 of Chasing the Dream.  I didn't know about Wait For the Jump, so I'm glad she de-lurked to award me because her blog is really fun, and I really like I Trot On and Chasing The Dream.  They're all very good blogs to follow.

Now I need to give 11 random facts about myself:

1.  I'm allergic to monkeys.

2. I have a neurologic abnormality called synesthesia.  I think of numbers, letters and abstract ideas as colors.  For example:  I think of the number 7 as red, the letter K as pink and being sick as purple.

3. I love heat and humidity, but can't stand the sun.

4. I have Inflammatory Bowel Disease, and it's causing my spine to degenerate and fuse.

5. I'm out of wine, and will need more to complete this list.

6. I got more wine, so let's go!

7. I like the smell of marigolds.

8. I once took lessons from an Olympic Eventer.  She told me to stick with dressage.  I did.

9. I enjoy menial tasks, like mowing the lawn, dragging the arena and cleaning stalls.  They give me time to think, be alone, and have a drink.

10. I am terrified of lightning.

11. I went to grad school to study neuroethology, which is the physiological basis of behavior.  It's basically animal behavior for super-nerds.


Now I have to answer a bunch of questions from my nominators (Is that a word?)

I'll start with Saiph's, since she was the first one to nominate me.


1. Who is your favorite horse? (Either real or fictional) Why?

Secretariat. His Belmont Stakes win still sends shivers down my spine.  It's a beautiful thing to watch. Plus, I've got a soft spot for a chestnut.  (Jack is a great-grandson of Secretariat, BTW)


2. What is the most exotic/unusual pet you've ever owned?

I've had snakes, lizards, turtles, salamanders, newts, rats, and ferrets... but by far, my most unusual pet was Frankie the Fan Belt Kitten.  When I worked as a vet tech, a feral kitten was brought in that had gotten caught in the fan belt of a minivan.  Her jaw was broken, her tail was missing, one of her ears was half cut off, and she had cuts all over her body from the belt.  The on-call vet stitched her up as best she could.  She had so many stitches that we dubbed her "Frankenpuss".  As Frankenpuss recovered, her personality started to shine through, and we quickly re-named her "Frankenbitch".  She was a tough little cookie. She made a full recovery, and needed a home, so I took her home with me.  But, I lived in an apartment at the time, and apartment life was not for Frankie.  I eventually took her to my parents farm to live, where she is still alive and raising hell at the ripe old age of 13.  

3. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A jockey.

4. If you ended up being something else, what made you change your mind?

I got too tall.  Which is ironic because, at 5'3", I'm much too short for dressage, but that hasn't stopped me!

5. What are your long-term riding career goals?

Don't fall off too many more times, because it seems to hurt worse now that I'm older.

6. What is your greatest riding achievement?

Not getting killed doing it.... yet.  

7. What is your greatest regret?

That I didn't meet my Spider until he was 11.  I wish I could have had him since he was a baby.  

8. What is your favorite movie? Why?

Star Wars.  Because it's awesome!

9. Have you ever read a book that moved you so much that it changed your life? Which book?

I think every book I've read has changed me in some way.  I love to read, and will read just about anything.  Some books change me by expanding my knowledge of the world around me, some books just hone my BS meter.  

10. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? What would your house be like?

I'd live somewhere in the Caribbean.  My house would be very open and airy, with lots of colors.  I like colors.  It would also have acres of pasture for my horses.

11. If you could have any saddle, which one would it be?

I've already got seven, my husband would not be happy if brought home another one, no matter how "perfect" it was!


Next, I'll answer Dragon's:


  1. Get up early to ride, or stay up late?
Both.  I have my own farm and two kids, I ride whenever I can!
  1. What do you do for a living?
I'm a Farmwife.  It's not particularly glamorous, but it's fun.
  1. What do you wish you did for a living?
Right now, I actually enjoy this quite a bit.  I've only been at it for three years, though.  I might get bored soon.
  1. If you could try any type of riding what would it be?
Sidesaddle.  It just looks interesting.  I'd probably fall off.
  1. What is one thing about your horse you wish you could change?
I wish he were younger.  He's 18, and I'm not ready for him to be old.
  1. If you could change your horse's name to anything (registered or barn) what would it be?
Spider's real name is not Spider, he had a ridiculous show name under his previous owner.  Spider was just his barn name. I actually didn't even know about his ridiculous show name until I signed the sale papers and the show name was used.  I knew I didn't want to use the show name, and I thought about changing his name to something else.  In the end, I decided that "Spider" really suited him best. 
  1. Facebook, Tumblr, or Instagram?
Facebook.  And everyone should totally follow Spider on FB.  The link's in the sidebar!
  1. Ebay, Craigslist, or Tack shop?
All of the above.  I have a problem.....
  1. If you could take on the life of any character in any TV show or movie, who would it be?
Oooh, I honestly don't watch enough TV or movies to say.  I tend to watch the History Channel and Food Network.  
  1. If you had an unlimited budget, what type of car or truck would you buy?
Some sort of fast little sports car.  I currently drive a Ford F350, it takes up 4 parking spaces and moves at half the speed of slugs.  It would be nice to get to highway speed on the on ramp and not have to park at the very end of the parking lot.    
  1. If you could move to any part of the world, where would it be?
The Caribbean!  But, only if I could take my horses.







And Now Checkmark 115:
1.Which horse in your life has been your favorite and why? Leased, owned, ridden etc.

Spider, hands down.  I can't really explain it, though.  He's not the fanciest, or the nicest, or the best at anything, but there's just something about him.  He and I just click.

2. What is your fav/least fav thing about your current barn?


Favorite thing: It's mine, all mine!!!  Least favorite thing: It's mine, and I have to take care of it.

3. Biggest pet peeve?


People who refuse to open their minds to new ideas.

4. What is the scariest horse related incident you've been involved in? (colic, trailer accident, etc)


I was on a trail ride with a friend, we were miles from the barn.  We had decided to gallop a bit down a long stretch of a clear trail.  I was in the lead, when her horse suddenly passed me without her on board.  Her horse was panicked and bolting.  My horse was trying to bolt, too, after seeing the other horse bolt past us.  I needed to get back to my friend to make sure she was alright.  I ended up having to get off and lead my horse back to where she was.  She was OK, just banged.  Her horse had stumbled, then panicked after she fell off.  Luckily, there was another group of people a little further down the trail who managed to catch her horse and bring him back to us.  It was definitely a scary few minutes, though, when I wasn't sure if she was OK and then when we didn't know if the horse was OK.

5.  Post a pic of your fav throw back & why.


This is from back when I wanted to be a jockey.  My legs were the perfect length.


6. Netflix or redbox?


Neither.  I do not have the attention span or time to sit and watch a movie anymore.  

7. Tell us your plan of attack in the event of a zombie apocalypse.


Steal all the horses in my area, then start recruiting for my zombie fighting cavalry.  I figure my dressage knowledge will help me train my cavalry force, which I will then use to conquer the surrounding towns free the surrounding towns of the zombies.  

8. Coke or Pepsi?


If it's got Jack Daniels in it, I'll drink it.

9. Iphone or Droid?


iPhone.  I have Macs, I like that the iPhone syncs up with them automatically.  

10. Favorite meal.


Gumbo

11. Biggest obession besides horses.


Gardening.  I love it, I grow flowers and fruits/veggies.  I have filled every bit of space that isn't being occupied by horse stuff with gardens.  I also can't pass a Lowe's or Home Depot without stopping to check out the clearance rack.  I admit it, I have a problem....



Allright, that takes care of the first part.  Now I need to make my own questions and nominate people.  And I'll totally get to that, at some point....

For now, I'm having trouble finding blogs that haven't been nominated and I'm working on writing some posts, potty training my youngest, and surviving the monsoon that has been unleashed upon the East Coast!



5 comments:

  1. Great answers...especially the zombie one. I know where to go in case that ever happens now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - we crossed paths in the blogosphere. Thanks for the beverage recommendation.

    I too wanted to be a jockey, especially after watching Big Red's Belmont. Also can't watch the replay without getting emotional. Nothing compares to that performance.

    And I'm also 5'3". No way we're too little for dressage. What about Debbie McDonald? She's super petite and Brentina is a monster. Just sayin'.

    Loved getting to know you better. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your answers! My fave was the zombie apocalypse one. Agree with Cindy-if that ever happens I'll be riding Lily up to NJ to join your cavalry. ;) Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey im working on potty training my 2 yr old too!!! lol

    Love reading these :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of fun to read all this. I agree about Secretariat and the Belmont. That was beyond amazing and it still gets me every time I see a replay. The way they filmed it in the Disney movie, with the sight line up the empty track and then Secretariat appearing all alone...wow!

    I'm here for the Zombie cavalry too, but I'd have to just let Toby and Tucker stand for themselves. They could take on the zombie hoarde singled hoofed, but I certainly wouldn't want to be riding either one of them when they did. All that leaping about would be even scarier than the zombies!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...