Friday, May 3, 2013

Introducing......

Good Man Jack!




Good Man Jack (just "Jack", for short) is a 2010 off-the-track Thoroughbred stallion.  Yes, you read that right... I have acquired a 3 year old OTTB stallion.  No, I'm not off my rocker.  He's very quiet and and has no clue that he's a stallion.  I'm going to take care of that "stallion" thing before he figures it out, though!

Jack retired from racing after 3 starts because he wasn't taking well to life on the track.  He was 100% sound, but just not running well and obviously stressed.  Life on the track is hectic and intense.  Some horses thrive on that type of busy atmosphere, but Jack wasn't one of them.   So, his owner and trainer decided to take him off the track and find him a home where he would be happy.

He's much better suited to hanging out in the back yard.


I'll admit, I've always been a sucker for a chestnut.  But what impressed me most about Jack was his sweet and gentle nature.  I know a certain 28 year old grey gelding who is not as quiet and sensible as this 3 yr old stallion!

He passed the "kid test", he's a keeper!


And it doesn't hurt that he's got pretty good conformation.  He's not as croup high as some Thoroughbreds, which will be a plus in his new vocation as a dressage horse.




He's pretty skinny right now, that's a side effect of coming off the track.  Racehorses are fed large amounts of high energy grain and have very intense daily exercise regimes.  Many are also given steroids or similar drugs to help them breathe and recover from the intensity of race day.  After they come off the track, they usually have a "crash" period while their bodies adjust to their new life.  He'll put the weight back on, but it takes time.

I tried to get some action shots, but Jack isn't really an "action" type of guy.  He prefers to spend his time eating, napping, and trying to get me to come pet him.  I've actually been very impressed with how intelligent and inquisitive he is.  He hasn't spooked once since arriving here.  When confronted with something new he stops, looks at it, and then approaches it.  That's an attitude I will be looking to cultivate, for sure!

He has nice reach in his gaits, though... always a plus!

For now, all the "action" Jack is interested in is getting his ears scratched.  Every time I go into the pasture to get a good photo of him, he follows me around like a puppy, just begging to be loved.  He's really not living up to the stereotype of the chestnut OTTB, or the stallion stereotype, either!

Obviously a dangerous animal.











26 comments:

  1. Score!

    Handsome, sweet, even tempered + an adorable snip! Congrats. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! His snip is also an "S", which is my first initial, as well as my husband's, both our children's and Spider's! And, Vinny's registered name is "Stravinsky"! Jack is already branded!

      Delete
  2. He looks lovely!! Congrats! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to my adventures with him!

      Delete
  3. Oh boy, he is going to be quite the looker when he grows into those legs!
    It blows me away that at 3 he is already "retired". To me it seems that at 3 he should just be being started, as far as serious riding goes. Not training of course, I think the training starts at day 1.
    I'm excited to see this story unfold. You are right he sure doesn't act like a stallion, does he.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely has legs that don't quit!

      Thoroughbreds begin racing at 2, most are retired by 5 or 6. Then they move on to the breeding shed, or new lives as riding horses. Here on the East Coast, where there are a lot of tracks, many of the Hunters and Jumpers you see are Off-The Tracks. THey really make wonderful horses!

      Delete
  4. As my 4yo son would say "As cute as cute can be!" We do the same "toddler testing" with all of the animals on our farm. If they don't pass, they are not allowed to join our family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kid friendly is important here! Plus, kids are a great way to insure that your show-horse is "bomb-proof"!

      Delete
  5. I love chestnuts. He's beautiful and his temperment sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chestnuts are my favorite! Jack is also a great-grandson of Secretariat, so I have my very own Big Red!

      Delete
  6. He looks very sweet - can't wait to follow his progress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My old farrier always used to say, "star and a snip, buy him." Jack is utterly adorable. He's a big boy for 3, and I suspect he's going to grow a bit yet. Of course, he will fill out. He's going to be a beauty.

    Wonderful to hear he has such a good temperament.

    Just a thought, if the track was stressful, a course of ulcer medication would be in order. No point in risking that he might have issues. It will also help him pick up weight.

    Glad he didn't want to run. Now he is in horse heaven on earth and you have a really fun summer ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started him on probiotics and ulcer meds first thing! Plus, he gets all the forage he can eat.

      Jack is 17h right now, hopefully he doesn't get too much bigger! I do agree that he's going to be a beauty, though!

      Delete
  8. Aw congrats! I agree with Jean, the star and snip boys are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He's definitely living up to his name!

      Delete
  9. I do love a red man. :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Redheads are the best! When I was younger, I used to dye my hair that color!

      Delete
  10. Wow! His legs go on forever! Jack should be a fun, new prospect for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I hear that, I think of the cheesy pick up line..."Hey Baby, do those legs go all the way up?" They certainly do! ;)

      Delete
  11. OMG a cutie and calm, what a catch! He's gonna be mighty handsome all filled out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to get him all muscled up!

      Delete
  12. What a handsome, sweet boy! I love his snip! Sounds like he's going to make a really nice horse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well this sure is going to be fun, following the new life Jack is going to enter into. He's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you! I'm really looking forward to it, too!

      Delete
  14. Jack is gorgeous. Good luck with him. I love his personality already.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...