Friday, March 15, 2013

A Much-Needed Kick in the Breeches

Well, I think I'm officially over my Winter Blahs.

I had a lesson on Wednesday.  My trainer pointed out that, while my transitions, corners and circles were looking very nice, my lateral work had not improved at all.  I decided not to tell him that was because I hadn't been working on my lateral work at all.

In my state of blahness, I have just been jumping on, doing a bunch of transitions and maybe some serpentines or figure eights, then calling it a day.  As a result, my lateral work had suffered a bit.  I was chastised for not staying balanced in the saddle during the shoulder and haunches in and then, because I wasn't balanced, I was pulling my horse into position rather than allowing him to do it on his own.

It is now spring and I need to get into gear.  That means a return to the lateral work, because I need it to do the 3rd, 4th and PSG level work.  No more winter blahs for me!  We're now moving forward into our Spring Workout Plan!

We're going to keep the transitions and corners, and add in some quality lateral work.  And by "quality", I mean I'll be focused on my balance and straightness and just let Spider do his thing.

My Spring Workout Plan also involves cleaning this hot mess up every day.



3 comments:

  1. Glad you got the "kick." I could use one myself, but then again, I don't really have any competition goals at the moment. I just need to ride.

    Lateral work comes better when you don't override. Just work it a little at a time and soon Spider will be slipping sideways at your minimal aids. (*G* then you really will have to sit straight or he will be going sideways all the time!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very handsome hot mess!!

    Please send the britches kicker down this way. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure the lateral work will come back in spades very quickly. It is never a bad thing to focus on single-track work for a while.

    I completely agree that cleaning up dried mud is a workout!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...