Monday, January 28, 2013

Cold Enough To Crack Eggs

It's been ridiculously cold here for the last week.  But, according to my crazy hens, it's not too cold lay eggs.  Two of them have been laying every day since the solstice.  Unfortunately it's been so cold that the eggs have been freezing and bursting before I get a chance to collect them.  That's pretty bleepin' cold!



Ordinarily, I'd be annoyed by the cold weather.  It's hard to ride when it's cold.  But I haven't been riding, so I haven't really minded.  I decided to have the steroid injections in my spine, and I decided that was a good excuse to not ride in the current arctic conditions.  So far they seem to have helped a bit, but I haven't been doing much, either. Tomorrow it's supposed to warm up and I'll return to riding and doing things outside.  We shall see how well the injections hold up to my normal activity level.

Since I've been laid up, I've been reading.  I'm still working my way through Dr. Hillary Clayton's "The Dynamic Horse".  It's a pretty heavy read, best taken in small chunks with lots of going back for review.  I'm also catching up on my Dressage Today articles.  I've got three months of issues laying around that I haven't even opened, other than to look at the pictures.  And I've been perusing the internet; watching videos from the World Dressage Masters, not blogging, wasting time on Facebook and Failblog, not blogging and reading articles about Yoga.

I've decided to up my Yoga practice.  I've always noticed that when I do my Yoga daily I feel much better.  With this in mind, I'm going to try to do a quick workout three times a day.  By "quick" I mean 10-15 minutes, just a few poses to help straighten, lengthen and loosen my spine and pelvis.  I usually do a few rounds of Sun Salutations every morning and try to fit in a 30-45 minute workout a few times a week.  I'm hoping that the quick workouts will be a little easier for me to make time for.  Anyway, as I was perusing the 'net for inspiration in my Yoga practice, I came across this article.  Although it's about Yoga, and more specifically about sciatica, I found it to also be a really good explanation of how riders need to use their pelvis and lower back (the "seat").  It also has some good stretches for loosening up the "seat" at the end. 

12 comments:

  1. Holy frozen eggs batman!
    research research research...always a lot of fun.
    Mostly I just wanted to say that I hope you are feeling better, and it was nice to see a post from you, the very first blog I ever joined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I am feeling better. I've got a wonderful group of fellow bloggers to lift me up when I'm down!

      Delete
  2. My enemies: piriformis and psoas. Also the enemies of my back's comfort level! Both have been sore as I've been getting my behind kicked by a new trainer (I LOVE that!) and at my thai massage last week I was informed those are the two problem areas for every rider he's worked on. They're the opposing muscles which control pelvic angle, and basically what we use most in order to properly sit gaits instead of taking too much movement in our spines... aka, as they are problematic we hurt ourselves by moving incorrectly.


    Also, I need that Dr. Clayton book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend Dr. Clayton's book! It's a pretty heavy read, but it really illuminates the very basic ideas of training.

      I refuse to look at piriformis and psoas as my enemies. They are the "cool kids", and I desperately want to be in their clique. I want to be their friend. I need them to be my friend. So, I'm totally making nice with them right now!

      Delete
  3. Yay for steroid shots, more yoga and seat stretches... (but was it totally necessary to pass on the failblog link?) ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd love Failblog! Did you check out Poorly Dressed?

      Delete
  4. I have never seen an egg cracked from the cold - that's bananas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a Louisiana native, I was not amused. I didn't even know it was possible, then it happened! It took me a few minutes to process... I was like, " Oh, crap, this egg has a crack in it. Wait, why isn't it leaking? OMG! It's frozen! And it burst!!!!!"

      Delete
  5. I was wondering if eggs every froze. Now I know. Yikes. Then again, it surely was cold enough!

    Glad to hear Yoga helps. I've not really tried it myself--was very limited by my former knees--but always found the concepts interesting. One of my other horse friends swears by it.

    I do go to a chiropractor, however, and he helps keep me sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chiro has never helped me, unfortunately. I've seen several different ones, but no results.

      I think the treatments are very individual. You have to figure out what works best for you. But, that means you also have to be open to everything and explore all avenues.

      Delete
  6. Good to hear that you're taking the shots and they are helping a bit. The yoga sounds like a good idea. I'll check out the article. I've never seen an egg crack from the cold but now I know it's possible. It has been brutally cold lately. Feel better and take it easy, catch up on your reading until the weather cooperates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is one of my favorite activities, and one I don't have much time for. It's kind of nice when I have downtime, because I finally get to read. It's amazing how a farm can suck your time away!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...