Friday, January 4, 2013

A New Year

Happy New Year!

It couldn't have come soon enough!  Last year was rather a bust for me, what with being sick and messing up my back again.  But now it's a new year, and I'm looking forward.

I've got an appointment with a Physiatrist (a doctor who specializes in rehabilitation and pain management) set for the 14th.  The bruise on my rump from the steroid shot has finally healed and, while my back is still bothering me a little, it's not nearly as bad as it was.  Spider continues to be a Dressage Superstar.  This is going to be a good year.

Last year I set my goal as showing 3rd level.  And I achieved that goal, albeit not well (although, I should get bonus points for showing during the beginning stages of a hurricane!).  This year I'm setting a new goal: PSG.  For the first time since I broke my back, I really feel like I can do this.  I mean, really, if you had asked me back then if I thought I would be able to train Spider well enough to get through a 3rd Level test, I would have laughed at you.  Or possibly burst into tears.  Either way, I wouldn't have believed myself capable of it.  It took seven years to get this far, but I did it.  I'm confident that I can get him to PSG.  It might be during a hurricane, I might not do well, but I'm going to have that horse do a PSG test by the end of this year.


8 comments:

  1. Set yourself for Intermediare I! That's where I managed to go with Toby and PJ. Once you do PSG, it's not as big a deal as it seemed before.

    I had to give up with the piaffe/passage, so didn't go beyond I. And, my scores were in the mid-50's so we never quite mastered it all, but the journey was fun.

    I am sure you will make PSG in good order and then you can wear the tailcoat with pride and be an FEI rider.

    Glad to hear you back is better. I will be most curious to hear about how the psychiatrist helps. It sounds fascinating. (Also think of acupuncture for pain management. Helps many people tremendously.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be schooling I-1, to get to PSG. I'd like to train him to Grand Prix, but we'll see how far we go. He's 18 this year and, while his heart is still in it, I don't want to ask for more than he can give.

      The Physiatrist specializes in non-surgical management, so I'm hoping she'll be able to recommend some acupuncturists!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Over the years I've learned that life can throw me down, but it can't keep there. I'll always claw my way back up, because I'm just too dumb to know when I'm beat!

      Delete
  3. Cool! You and Spider can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's so good to have support on our journey!

      Delete
  4. Please take us along as you go to the PSG level. Glad you are starting to do better in the rump department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I'll be writing about our PSG journey as we go along. I used to think of the FEI levels as some sort of unattainable Ninja Master Level, and I think that's how many people think of it. But, if I can do it, anybody can!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...