Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Well, That Was Rather Anticlimactic

So, in my last post I mentioned that my back was bothering me again.  I threw it out while riding a couple weeks ago.

When you ride horses and you tell people you hurt your back, the first question people always ask is "Did you fall off?"

No, no I did not.

Then they say, "Oh. Did he spook?"

No, no he did not.

"Well, then how did you hurt yourself riding?"

I was doing a haunches-in.  Just a regular old haunches in to the left at trot.  Spider tried to fall out a bit, so I gave him a little kick with my left leg and then, "POP"... something gave out in my lower back.

Seven years ago I fractured my L-5 vertebra in a fall from a horse.  I've had some trouble with sciatica ever since.  I also developed a degenerative scoliosis and some herniated discs. But, I'd been feeling a lot better recently.  I honestly can't even remember the last time I had any significant back pain.  So, I was a little surprised when such a simple thing threw my back out of whack.

I went to the Orthopedist today, to see what he had to say about it.  Several x-rays, two doctors and a few hours later, they're still not sure what's going on.  I'll be getting more x-rays (whole spine profiles of the scoliosis) and an MRI, then they'll decide what to do from there.  I'll definitely be fitted with a brace, and then I guess it's just a matter of figuring out if I need physical therapy, injections, surgery or some combination of the three.

As they say... "Nothing worth doing is easy."

8 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you how many times I have lifted, pulled or pushed things that were much heavier than I should have been messing with, without incident. Then a week later I would hurt myself terribly by lifting an empty plastic flower pot, or even by simply getting into my lifted vehicle. Back issues rarely ever make sense in my book!
    With that being said, I am sorry to hear that you are in pain, and I really hope they figure out what the problem is so that you can get back in the saddle soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...sorry you are crinked! I have an off and on again relationship with my sacroiliac joint. It is a pain. Mysteriously lays me out, I do lower back stretches on the floor for a few days and I'm back at it again. Feel better soon. ~E.G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn haunches-in!!

    Hoping you get some relief asap... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thrown my relatively normal back out more then once doing something simple. Hopefully your new injury is something easily fixed once it's figured out. All it takes as a slight misalignment of your vertebrae and it can hurt a lot.

    Sending good vibes your way along with wishes for a speedy recovery with the least invasive treatment possible. <<<<*gentle hugs*>>>>

    ReplyDelete
  5. attend our XMAS GIVEAWAY: http://www.iconadeironchi.com/2012/12/xmas-giveaway-by-hooks-europe-lami-cell.html
    you can win an helmet Lami-cell with swarovski inserts (value over 174 Euro)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas, and a happy , healthy New Year to you and your family, human and non!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...