Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Expectations

"My expectations were reduced to zero when I was 21.  Everything after that is a bonus."

-Stephen Hawking.



Stephen Hawking was diagnosed with ALS at 21, and told he only had a few years to live.  That was in 1963.  Today, Stephen Hawking is still quite alive and widely regarded as one of the greatest Theoretical Physicists of our time.

Now, I am no Stephen Hawking; but I am not trying to be, either.  I'm just trying to ride one horse up through the levels.  I don't even want to be good at it, I just want to do it because it's something I love to do.

My back is acting up again, and that is making training my horse difficult. And that makes me cranky and mopey.  I wonder if I can really do this.  With all my problems, am I really good enough to train a horse up through the levels?

 After I'm through with my mopey crank-fest, I recite that quote, reset my expectations to zero, and go about enjoying my bonus.


10 comments:

  1. Whoa, I really needed that today! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help! That quote always gets me out of my funk.

      Delete
  2. Waking up on the right side of the dirt is the main thing... everything after that is a bonus! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you as this up/down/warm/cold weather is making my new knees hurt. It's hard to ride seriously when you are in pain.

    I once aspired to train a horse to Grand Prix. I may still master the two movements I've never done on a horse with one of my guys, but whether or not I show at that level really doesn't matter any more. I've lost my taste for the show ring, I fear. But I will train on just for the fun of it. It takes the pressure off, and lets me enjoy my Boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I aspire to do as much as I can. Mostly, I just want to enjoy the journey.

      I don't care for showing much, either. I do it mainly to check my progress. I also have a few long-term goals that require a show record, too. It's a necessary evil, I suppose. *G*

      Delete
  4. The bonus is your relationship with such a wonderful animal.

    I was never super enthusiastic about showing, and more and more, I could care less, BUT that doesn't mean that I do not want to move up the levels! Training a horse is a wonderful journey and enjoying the process is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Showing is not my favorite thing to do, either. I do it mainly to check my progress.

      I have the rest of my life to get there. No rush. I fully intend to enjoy every minute of the journey!

      Delete
  5. No doubt to train a horse is no joke. But to be able to build a good rapport with such a wonderful creature is already a great achievement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! But, I didn't have much to do with that at all. My wonderful creature built the rapport with me. He's the trainer, I'm the student.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...