Thursday, November 15, 2012

Prix Caprilli

November's issue of Dressage Today had an article about the Prix Caprilli.  I'd never heard of it before, but it's a dressage test with jumps in it. I was immediately intrigued. I've been playing around with jumping lately because I do think cross-training is important, but I don't know anything about real jumping.

My jumping style is to just sort of point Spider at a very low "fence" (log in the woods, 2x4 propped up on rubber feed tubs, etc.) and then not fall off.  I'm really good at my jumping style (haven't fallen off yet!), but I don't think it's going to take me to the A circuit.

But, this Prix Caprilli stuff seems to concentrate more on just getting over a jump, and less on form.  The jumps aren't high, it isn't timed.  As it's described in the article, it's just a way to help the horse collect and to reinforce basic training and obedience.  Sounds good to me!

So, I put my Google-fu to work and found some tests and diagrams to work with.

I then decided to make my own course, utilizing available materials.

Fence posts, flower pots and feed tubs.  Klassy.





I fully intended to follow the tests set out in the link.  But, then we were just having so much fun that I forgot all about the pattern and we just started going over jumps all willy nilly.  We basically just cantered around the arena, jumping whichever thing was closest.  But, we had a great time doing it!

I must say, for a "soured jumper", Spider is quite the packer.  He carried me over the jumps with aplomb, completely ignoring my highly unprofessional giggles and squeals, poor form and complete lack of guidance.  We will be adding it to our regular repertoire.  Next time I'll try to do it in a more structured way, though.


7 comments:

  1. I've read a bit about Prix Caprilli and it seems like such a great idea to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to jump a lot--amateur owner hunter, eventing, etc. My problem is that I know what I am supposed to do, but my total lack of practice makes me rather incompetent in a way not quite like yours. I really want to do more with my Boys, though, and plan to add some more to my training plans--whenever it is that I ride.

    Spider's willingness to jump happily for you clearly shows his trust in all you have done with him since his jumping career ended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same thing when I read that DT article. Haven't tried it yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cool! I really like that! Because I've always wanted to jump, but being a 'hunter/jumper' is sooo intimidating! It's nice to know there's a less intense form of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you and Spider had fun with it! I love jumping. But if you plan to do more, you should probably learn more about form, counting strides, timing, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super fun!! Glad you had a good time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...