Saturday, September 1, 2012

As Long As You've Got One Good Arm...

You might as well use it!

I am the only dressage rider in my family.  Actually, I'm the only English rider in my family.  I come from a long line of horse people on both sides of my family, but they all ride Western.  Not like, Western Pleasure..... but real Western, with cows and open range and stuff.  I learned to ride a horse in a Western saddle, and I didn't get interested in dressage until I was a teenager.

But, to make a long story short, I recently found myself with only one good arm, due to a wasp sting.  And what can you do with only one arm?  Well, you can ride Western.

I had trained Spider to neck rein years ago, because I think it's an important thing for a horse to know.  And now it came in handy!  But, we had to complete the look....

On a lark, I decided to try my Western saddle on Spider.  The saddle was my grandmother's, it's very old and very narrow.  It fit Spider quite well.

And I think he looks quite dashing in it.


We did a bit of arena work, then went on a trail ride.  Even with only one hand, Spider did well.




I'm happy to have a versatile horse.  

8 comments:

  1. What a good boy! And he does look dashing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does look beautiful!

    Versatility is a sign of a well-trained horse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ride and obviously the extra training to neck rein paid off. He does look good in western gear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shan, hard to believe that saddle is almost 75 years old. Spider is in the company of a lot of fine horses have carried it and your grandmother would be very proud to see the two of you on your trail ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spider looks great in that saddle.
    It's good to mix things up a bit. What a good horse. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...