Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Overcast

I did not get to ride in the moonlight on Saturday.  It was far too cloudy here to see the moon that night.  But, I've never been one to let a little thing like clouds ruin a good time, so I saddled up anyway and rode in the arenalight.

Not quite as inspiring as a Super Moon, but it gets the job done.

On a whim (that may or may not have been fueled by the Mint Julep I had while watching the Derby), I decided to ride bareback.  I don't ride bareback very often, but I've done it often enough to know that Spider is a good boy about it and I can stay on.

However, it is important to note that I only ride Spider bareback when it is very cold outside.  Like, so cold that I feel terrible about taking his thick, warm blanket off to put the saddle on, so I just hop on bareback with his heavy winter blanket still on.  I have never ridden him bareback without a winter blanket on.

It is also important to note that Spider has a truly impressive wither, even for a Thoroughbred, and that he wears a custom made saddle because he is narrower than a "narrow" tree.

Do you see where this is headed?  If you do, then you're much smarter than me!

Upon getting myself settled in, I found a very uncomfortable wither.  I figured it was no big deal, I'd just sit a little further back.  A little further back, I found a very uncomfortable spine.  No problem!  I'll just get him nice and round.  When he got round, the very uncomfortable spine rose up like a cheese slicer.  I made it half way around the arena, then decided to get the saddle.  I think we'll stick to bareback riding in heavy winter blankets from now on!




8 comments:

  1. "the very uncomfortable spine rose up like a cheese slicer."

    LMFAO + owwwwww!

    We were game to ride too, no wither issues, but it rained all evening here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been raining here, too. Hopefully it will clear soon. I know we need it for the pastures, but sheesh! I want to ride my horse!

      Delete
  2. Haha! I wondered how long you'd make it. I think Cuna would allow me to ride him bareback, but uh... yeah. It doesn't look fun for more than like 2 seconds at the halt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't even comfortable at halt! The only thing that kept me going for as long as I did was sheer stubbornness (and possibly bourbon).

      Delete
  3. I used to ride bareback a lot, but I haven't done it in a fair number of years. My Toby has such a huge shy I didn't feel too safe on him and Tucker's behavior speaks for itself.

    So, a while back, I decided to hop on Chance bareback. No problem with wither or spine on him--he's like a soccer ball. But that posed another problem. I just keep feeling as if I was going to simply roll off! *lol* I gave up after about five minutes and haven't tried again since.

    Wonder now if it was really old age creeping up on me instead of a roly poly horse.

    Sometimes a nice thick saddle pad can work to ease the "cheese slicer" effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not old age creeping up! Many years ago, when I was quite young and uninjured, a friend of mine convinced me to ride her roly-poly, witherless Quarter Horse bareback. It was like riding a jello mold. I think it is more difficult to ride the soft and squishy horses bareback! At least the narrow ones give you something to, *ahem*, hold on to!

      Delete
  4. I have the same problem with Harley. He may be a quarter horse, but his withers are fierce. Relaxing while in pain is not possible and definitely not fun. I have to put a thick fleece pad under a bareback pad and then we can have some fun.

    Too bad about the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Riding bare back...just simply awesome.

    Thanks for comment on my post. I agree any word can be a slur if accented correctly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...