Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hooray For Technology!

I have a computer again!


Funny, just a few years ago it wouldn't have bothered me at all to not have one, but now I feel deprived without it.  I suppose we truly live in a digital world, if even a technologically challenged person such as myself has become dependent!


As I posted previously, my hard drive self-destructed.  I was annoyed, as the computer was only 3 years old and a Mac.  I was rather under the impression that Macs were hardier and longer-lived than PCs.  I guess not.  Well, to be fair....  It was a hardware issue, not software, which I suppose isn't so much an Mac versus PC issue. I'm pretty sure all the hardware is made by the same company somewhere in east Asia ;).   But still, I didn't expect a hard drive to fail so catastrophically in such a short amount of time.

Moral:  Back up your files, especially pictures.  We lost a lot of pictures.  We have an external hard drive for pictures, but had been negligent in actually putting the them onto the external hard drive.  Luckily, we're also not that great about deleting things off the camera after we download them, so we were able to recover some there.  Plus, we were able to recover everything we had uploaded to the internet.  So, not a total loss.

Now I just have to start writing out all the thoughts I've had in the past 2 weeks in a coherent way.  Ha!

Gate Pests

7 comments:

  1. I have an iMac, and my pictures automatically go to Picasa Web Albums that are stored off my computer. There are thousands and thousands of pictures there that are safe. Did you ever do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have everything that I uploaded to my blog saved in Picassa, but I didn't have it set up to automatically upload everything there. I didn't even know I could do that, actually. Now I'll have to look into that, it's a really good idea!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know! The oldest will be four this month, the youngest will be two in June. We're going to start the oldest under saddle come summer. ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm getting ready to switch over to a new Mac, and I was told you can upload everything to the icloud now. (cue heavenly music)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our phones can upload to the cloud, but we need to get the new operating system for the desktop to be able to. It's a nice feature, although slightly creepy. Our phones automatically sync to the cloud through the wifi, but then the cloud syncs all the data back to both phones. So, my husband and I keep ending up with each others contacts and itunes. Very confusing!

      Delete
  4. So much for the MAC's reputation as being better in all respects than a PC. Proof positive that hardware can "go" no matter what the system. Sorry about your pictures.

    Looking forward to the updates.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...