Sunday, March 18, 2012

Whining

I'm not much of a whiner, but I occasionally indulge.  This is one of those times.

We've already established how I messed up my horse's training, We can talk about that more in a later post.    I'm trying to fix my mistakes now, but at every turn there is an obstacle!

Allow me to elaborate... this was my week:

Our beloved friend Slinky the ferret passed this week.  She was a favorite of my daughter, and a much loved member of our family.  She was 9 years old, very old for a ferret.  Even though we had much preparation for her passing, it was still difficult, particularly for a four year old child who does not quite understand the nature of death.

RIP Slinky Ferret.  You were very much loved, and will be missed.  Thank you for sharing your life with us.


And then one of our spigots went bad, which resulted in a flooded backyard.  Unfortunately, this required a few days of "just dealing with it" because no one had the time to actually fix it.  To avoid further flooding, we only had the well on twice a day, for essentials.  It wasn't fun, but sometimes you just can't get to things.  That's farm life...

And then on Wednesday I was cleaning up outside and went to toss a piece of wood into the scrap pile.  Unfortunately, the piece of wood had a nail in it and I wasn't wearing gloves.  I'll spare you the gruesome details, but there was a trip to the ER.  I haven't had the use of my right hand since then.

And so this past week was a bit of a wash.  But, I am not angry (anymore).  I am not frustrated (anymore).  Because this is my life and, in spite of the difficulties, it's a good life.

There is so much more to my life than just me.  I set a goal for myself, but I failed to see that there was so much more to that goal than just my own ambitions.  And my real life reared up and smacked me down.  I am not an island, and the world does not care about my goals.  Even the tiny little world of my own farm doesn't care about my goals, unless my goal is feeding the inhabitants of my farm.  They care a lot about that.  They also bring me back to the real world, and help me regain my perspective.

In the end, my goals were extraneous .  I should have been paying more attention to my horse's training.  The training is based on the horse's readiness, not the rider's.  My horse wasn't ready.  And, realistically, I wasn't ready to begin training that stage.  I lost my perspective, and when I lost my perspective I lost the feel.  I lost the idea of correct training, I lost the parameters of the working, collected and medium gaits.

And so, I have learned my lesson.  It is not a new lesson, it is a recurring theme in horsemanship.  I'm sure at some point I will need to be reminded of it again.

I still have my goals.  I still want to show 3rd level this year, which means that I need to be schooling 4th, but there is a lot of time left in this year.  I don't need to be schooling 4th level tomorrow.

           
                   -"I have time."  Alois Podhajsky



6 comments:

  1. OOOHHHHHHHHH!
    I promise I won't spam you HAHAHAHA ^_^
    Thanks for taking the words verification out, I could not read it anymore :-(

    ((((((((HUGE HUGS from Italy )))))))))

    Our goals are juts ours, but life around us does not care about it. I am guilty to be self-obssessed with my own goals too ...
    But we also need our space to grow into for being able to care for our family/farm/animals ^-^

    You are doing okay. ((((more hugs)))) ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I've had extension cords running across the property (from my trailer) to power the electric fence for over a month now... still waiting on the electrician.

    I find that the only time I'm popular (or vaguely important) around my farmette is mealtime.

    Don't be discouraged. It's human nature to push forward. Our horses are extra good at bringing us back down to earth. You could be doing dressage at the glacial rate I am - maybe I'll live long enough to get to third level!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No spam here.

    I am feeling for you. That was decidedly on the brink of the "week from hell." But, thankfully, you've wrapped your head around it and did not go over the edge into the abyss.

    Done with the poetic images...hope your hand recovers quickly. I have to remind myself over and over to wear gloves when I am doing the chores. It's too easy to randomly wound myself too...

    You are so right about riding goals. It's far more important to do it all right than reach a certain level or competition. I am confident you will reach third level in good order...and I hope I'll be able to see you ride a test at the Horse Park on Spider before this show season is over.

    So sorry about Slinky. He was adorable and lived a long life with you. It's never easy to lose a beloved pet, but all your hearts will heal in time. For now, give him the tears he's due and remember all the love and good times you shared. RIP, Slinky Ferret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Slinky, RIP. He looked very sweet, my heart goes out to your daughter. He will be missed.

    I'm pretty popular around here at feeding time too.

    Hope your hand heals quickly and you can get back to doing the things you want to do.

    As for goals, you'll get there. Obstacles always seem to get in the way of best laid plans. You have time and so does Spider. Relax and enjoy each day, it makes living so much easier when we try and do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon,sorry about the hand, ouch. Glad to see you are still blogging, but miss you over at the garden blog. My gardens have been very busy with the lack of a winter. Are you going to be gearing up for spring activity? Maybe need some more weird veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a rough week :( And I am so sorry about Slinky.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...