Friday, February 3, 2012

Too Good to Last

We've had some really fine days in NJ this week.  Weather in the 60s, in spite of it being February.  I know, I know... everybody in every other non-tropical place in the world is cursing me right now!

Well, you know what, Everybody else?  I've earned my right to gloat!

Here's my farm last winter:

That's my three step mounting block.  It sits next to my arena.  You wouldn't know that from this picture, because my arena is buried in a SNOW BANK!!!
Here's my farm the year before:

This is my 4x4 pickup truck with tow package and aftermarket extra big tires and rims, buried in freaking snow!!!!
And, just for good measure, here I am with my horse in the time before I had my own my own farm.  This was about six years ago, I think,  and it is one of my favorite pictures.  I have it hanging in my living room.  It was the first winter I owned Spider, and it was colder than a witch's tit in a brass brassiere.  (Please excuse my crudeness, but that really is the only way to describe the bone chilling cold of that winter)

He's crossing an ice slick here.  Because it was just that cold.
So, yup, I'm gonna gloat about my good weather!

But, I should also mention other stuff, too.

The Liebster Award has been making the rounds, and I was awarded it by DS over at Adventures in Colt (Filly) Starting.  I very much appreciate her award, and I like her blog very much.  I especially feel close to her because she's just starting on that journey that I started on nearly four years ago: Mother and Horseman.  It's a hard row to hoe, but so incredibly worth it.  Even on the days when I think "Holy Hell, what on Earth was I thinking?!!! Why did I do this?!?! How stupid am I?!?".  Yes, even on those days I can say that the ridiculous little people I spawned were worth it.  Mostly because someday I will force them to be my grooms at shows.....

And so, according to the stipulations of the Liebster award, I will now bestow this fine award on five other Bloggers:

I'm going to try to bestow it unto people that I haven't seen making the rounds:

Equine Biomechanics:  I know I mentioned this one before, but I seriously love it, so I'm mentioning it again!

Schooling Your Horse: Lorraine is great at explaining things, and very approachable!

Bob The Equestrian:  Bob is a "horse dad" who's decided to actually learn to ride the beasts he's been supporting.  His viewpoints are grounding, and hysterically spot on!  He's a voice of reason in our sometimes silly world!

Dressage Curmudgeon:  I love this, because she says what she thinks.  I don't agree with all of it, but I think agreeing is stupid, anyway.

Horses Of Follywoods:  I love Jean.  She is a consummate horseman, and the kind of person I aspire to be.  She was one of the first followers of my blog, and she is the person who's comments I most value.

And I'm adding a sixth, because this guy is awesome:  Cross Country Equine.  Seriously, he's awesome, inspirational and really just everything in between.

In other news:  I am planning on posting a follow up to my last post.  Actually, I've got several follow ups in mind, because it just isn't something that can be summed up in a simple essay....






7 comments:

  1. Glad you are bragging about your good weather, cause I'm getting ready to as well in my next post. Sunny, no wind and in the 70's...

    Congrats on the award, and thanks for listing several blogs that are new to me.

    Lastly - I love that you used the "colder than a witches tit" expression. No need to abstain from salty language when it really gets the point across. (And thanks for turning me on to the bit about the brass brassiere - hadn't heard that part before lol) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I may live in NJ, but I am from Louisiana. We excel at language, especially the salty sort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments, and the award. Both are much appreciated.

    Those pictures evoke some chilling memories including the year it snowed a foot or so, then sleeted on top, so thickly that the horses would not break through the top lasy of solid, very slippery ice. They could not even go out of the barn.

    I dug a path to the indoor where I boarded, and then lugged extra sand from the arena in muck buckets to make a safe passage so we could get them out of their stalls for some exercise. It stayed that way for nearly a week as I recall. Horrible.

    And, after last year, we deserve a break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recommendations. Just added the ones I wasn't following.
    And I love the 'witches tit' expression!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. We Jerseyans have earned a warm winter. Last year SUCKED. Also, I'm pretty sure I've been to the barn in your ice slick photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I know why I like you! Because you're from LA. My husband is too. :) I love going down there to visit his family. It's a whole different world. :)

    Congrats on the award. Now I'm off to check out the ones you awarded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and forgot to say, I'm glad you're having nice warm weather (brag all you want!) because those pictures are absolutely awful! I can't even imagine having to deal with that kind of snow, ice and cold. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...