Friday, January 21, 2011

Stylin'

I just love when these awards make the rounds.  I get to find all sorts of new blogs to read. 

I really love reading blogs.  It's what I do while I drink my morning pot of coffee.

This prestigious award has been bestowed on me by:
 Just A Girl And Her Horse
 Calm, Forward, Straight
Adventures In Colt (Filly) Starting

So, now I have four duties to perform:

Duty #1:  Thank and link back to the person who awarded you.  Links done, and a hearty "Thank You!" to all who nominated me.  I'm glad my silly ramblings have touched someone.  I hope my mistakes keep others from making the same mistakes.

Duty #2:  Share seven things about yourself.  Ha!  Here goes:


7 interesting things about me:

1. I'm not all that interesting. 

2. I'm a Stay at Home mom to a two year old and a seven month old.  But, before that, I worked with laboratory animals.  Many people are surprised to learn that.   They think it is at odds with my love for animals.  Quite the contrary.  Animals are necessary for research.  Modern medicine, both human and veterinary, would be nothing without them.  These research animals make the ultimate sacrifice for us, they give their lives to make ours better.  It was my job to ensure that those animals had the very best life and I loved doing that.  My work with lab animals has also affected my ideas on horsemanship and husbandry.  Every effort is made to ensure that lab animals are happy and stress free.  Their psychological health is as important their physical health.  That's an area of husbandry that is mostly overlooked in barn management and even pet care.  Working with lab animals opened up an entirely new world of husbandry for me, and I am thankful for that.  And, next time you're at the barn patting your happy, healthy, vaccinated horse, be sure to thank a rat!

3.  Five years ago I broke my back in a riding accident.  I still have some numbness in my left leg from nerve damage and I have an awkward gait, but I'm otherwise OK.  I thank Pilates and Yoga for that!  If I didn't stay fit, I know I wouldn't be doing as well right now.

4. Every room in my house is a different color.  None of those colors are white.  I love color, and I love surrounding myself with color.

5.  I love gardening.  It's my favorite hobby.

6.  I don't consider riding a hobby.  It is an all consuming passion.  You don't break your back for a hobby!

7.  I am really bad with computers and the internet.  In fact, I just figured out that it's possible to compose posts in Blogger without using HTML.  All you have to do is click on the tab that says "Compose".... How embarrassing.  While the internet and computers were blowing up big time, I was trying to be a horse trainer.  Sadly, I was left behind. 

And now for the really hard part.  You're supposed to award 15 other recently discovered blogs.  Just 15?  I can't do that.  Besides, I'm really late to this party, so just about all the blogs I've recently discovered have been awarded already.

All except one.

Pop's Compost.

"Pop" is Annette's husband (from News From Aspen Meadows).  He brings a riotously funny male perspective to this "dressage" thing.   He only blogs sporadically, but...... perhaps with a little encouragement, he would write a little more often!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your award. It's nice to get to know you a little better. I'll have to check out Pop's Compost, it sounds like something I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to learn more about you - and thanks for pointing us to Pop's compost - pretty fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lab animals? No cats, I hope. I don't have that big of a problem(just a tiny one) with the rats/mice, but it is the other types of animals tested on that disturbs me. I just think that there is something off with potentially harming something that is completely dependent on humans for care. But then again, I am a tree-hugging vegetarian prius driver!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your list and learned some very interesting things about you. You broke you're back? Wow, you're right, you don't do that for a hobby, only an all consuming passion, and it shows in the good training you do and advice you give.
    Congratulation on your award.
    By the way, I recently discovered Pop's Compost too, and agree that it's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats for your award. You deserve it ^-^
    I am off to check the Dressage Husband, that must be hilarious, if only my Hubby could write about horses too. That woudl be too much fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shannon,

    I saw the comment you left on Kate's blog (A Year with Horses) about wanting to sometime try clicker training with you treat loving pony.

    From what you said about you pony in the comment, I think she would love clicker training! I'd love to hear more if you decide to try it.

    With our horses, I've found that clicker training is an awesome training tool, especially with the really food motivated horses. (Although it's helpful to make sure you use the clicker to teach them a few manners at the beginning!)

    I've added your blog to my blog reader. I really liked your comments in this post about lab animals.

    My undergraduate degree is in biology and I'm currently working on a masters in behavior analysis---both fields make extensive use of laboratory animals for research purposes.

    I think you're right, that good labs these days are trying to insure that lab animals are in good health, are stress-free and are as happy as possible.

    I think it is unfortunate that so many people have such negative opinions about laboratory animals and their care. Lab research has taught us so much about biology, medicine and behavior and we still have lots more to learn. We would still be in the dark in many disciplines without much of this research.

    cheers,

    Mary

    (http://stalecheerios.com/blog)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...