Friday, December 31, 2010

Nothin' Doin'


Well, it's still snowy here. It just hasn't gotten warm enough to really melt the snow yet. This weekend promises to bring rain, which should thaw things out. Not that it matters, Spider has a boo-boo on his lip. Right where the bit would rub. It's a nice scrape about the size of a dime. I haven't a clue how he did it. He's really not that prone to getting banged up. I suppose he must have stuck his nose somewhere it didn't belong.

On the bright side, the area of the arena I cleared is thawing quicker. There are patches of footing showing through, getting bigger every day. It's not fit to ride on, though. The sun warms the snow during the day, then it re-freezes at night, creating slick ice patches. No good for working horses.

Vinny, my old gelding with Stringhalt, is holding up really well. I was worried about how well he'd be able to get around in the snow, but he gets around just fine. That horse is like a cockroach, he adapts to every conceivable environment and thrives. He's an old style imported Swedish Warmblood. Truly a marvel of Swedish engineering!

Happy New Year's Eve to all! May your evening be full of champagne and your hangover mild!

Me, I will probably fall asleep on the couch sometime around 10 pm, just like every year ;)

4 comments:

  1. Still under snow here too. My big fear is that is will thaw out and then freeze into ice....eeeeek.

    I will probably be asleep on the couch as well. Think I did that last year too. However, my neighbor has promised some loud noise to celebrate, so I figure the bangs will wake me up.

    Have to give the Boys a midnight snack with some carrots and apples.

    Happy New Year to you too and may the thaw thaw you. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very happy New Year to you too - I'm always early to bed on New Year's myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on the couch already... sleeping can't be far away :)

    Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The good news is once we get the rain the snow will melt quickly. The bad news it will most likely be muddy. Hope you get to ride soon and that Spider's boo boo heals.

    Happy New Year to you and yours and may you have lots of saddle time in 2011!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...