Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Outside Pets

In the wee hours of the morning I was awakened by a storm. The wind was howling and rain pelted the house. It was quite a racket. I got up and turned on the floodlights to check the horses, to be sure no limbs were down on the fence and the horses were snug in the barn. No trees were down, but the horses were not snug in the barn. They were standing out in the cold, driving rain, butts to the wind, happily munching on grass. They have the choice of going into the barn or staying out. I've found that 90% of the time, they choose out. Funny, I've always been told that show horses are delicate, sensitive creatures that cannot possibly live outside. I guess mine didn't get the memo.

They should know that they shouldn't go out in the rain. They might melt.


And they certainly can't go out in the snow. It's much too cold, they wouldn't like that.

Hmmm.... well, I am still glad that I provide them with stalls. Horses need a soft, secure place to sleep in.

Or around.

That's not to say that they never go in their stalls. I occasionally find them in there. Although, they seem to be confused as to how to properly use them.



One horse per stall, boys. You fit better that way.

And, while we're on the subject of "what horses can't do", here's a picture for all the people who think that dressage is unnatural and forced and that horses at liberty don't move like that:



I'd also like to give a shout out to all the Dressage Queens who think that only purebred, papered Warmbloods from Europe can be competetive dressage horses.



I'm feeling cheeky today, must be the wind ;)

8 comments:

  1. I love this post! Thanks for sharing all the wonderful photos. It certainly does make one wonder why we insist that horses need human accommodations. They just love getting to be horses most of the time. My girl certainly does!

    -DS
    Adventures In Colt Starting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pics. Especially Mathilda. She looks soooooooooooo cheeky. I love the pics where they are lying down in the sun. Lovely ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures - particularly sleeping horses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahem....just change the color of the horses and a bit of the scenery and this could be my post. Doubling up in the stall, sleeping in the paddock, and out in all kinds of weather.

    Although, I have noted of late that upon occasion, with the rain starts to fall, the Boys do head for the run in...sometimes.

    Great action shots. I need to work on getting some like that. But I'm not sure they'd ever be as cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! My horses only go inside to get out of the flies in the heat of the summer. Well, Rogo sometimes thinks he'll melt and goes in out of the rain and peeks out at the other two...
    I loved your pictures and captions. They are so true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww. I want a pony kind of. So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! We do the same with out horses -- turn out 24/7 unless the pasture is just too slick to be safe. They love standing in the rain or snow or wind or whatever. They sleep in the dirt... Do they look like typical dressage horses? No. Are they happy? Yes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...