Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Injured


Me, not Spider. Thank goodness!

I'm a pretty rough and tumble sort of person. And I don't always think things through. This often leads to me doing dumb things. Like trying to throw hay bales directly from the slick pickup bed into the hay room, or clean the water tubs while reaching through the electric fence. Just last week I was standing on top of the tractor using a hack saw to cut down a tree limb. I did briefly think to myself "Maybe this isn't one of my better ideas". But, I couldn't think of any better way to do it, so I carried on. I've also been known to use hay bales as makeshift ladders. Heck, I've even used the horse as a ladder, mostly to remove small branches that hang over the arena. I sit on his back, reach up with the hand nippers and cut off the low-hanging branches that hit me when I ride. I figure that's the height they need to be trimmed to, anyway. Why not? He only dances around a little bit, he's mostly gotten used to it.

So, how did I hurt myself? Pulling on a sweatshirt. How ignoble. It's not even a good story. I was a little chilly, so I decided to put on a sweatshirt. While pulling it over my head I managed to pull a muscle. The big muscle that runs from your neck down to the bottom of your shoulder blade, the trapezius. Right now it's the ouchius maximus. For the last two days I haven't been able to turn my head without getting blinding pain down my neck and back. It does seem a bit better today. It's mostly just sore now, not stabbing pain.

Needless to say, I haven't been riding. I thought about it. But then I thought that would be a pretty dumb thing to do. I'll try a little gentle stretching today, see how that goes. It's raining anyway.

And now for some good news.... Vinny's trotting again! You may recall that Vinny, my old retiree, contracted Australian Stringhalt over the summer. For a while there he couldn't trot, because of the way his hind legs were moving. He cantered everywhere. Well, last night he trotted up for dinner! His movement has been less exaggerated lately, but this is the first time I've seen him trot since he first showed symptoms. I'm quite pleased that he's making progress. I was really worried about how he would manage if we got a lot of snow this winter. He can stay in the stall, but Stringhalt horses aren't really supposed to be confined. Movement helps them, confinement makes them worse. Plus, I worry about him falling and getting cast in the stall. He seems to be doing just fine though. I shouldn't have had any doubts. Nothing ever gets that cheeky old bugger down!

Related Posts on Vinny's Stringhalt:
StringHalt and Dandelions
Hot and Steamy
Hot and Steamy, With a Chance of Hurricanes

5 comments:

  1. I was sure you were going to say you fell doing the hay or something.

    Cognrats on hurting yourself in the lamest way possible. I've never heard of such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you to heal soon. I am glad Vinnie is better. I remember the photos of him walking "funny".
    Is Mathilda the cheeky pony okay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a good chiropractor?? That's where I'd go if I'd pulled that darn muscle. Been there, done that and it's surprisingly easy to do--all you need is to twist just the wrong way at the wrong moment. Bummer!

    Glad to hear Vinnie's better, though. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch!!! Hope you feel better soon!

    That's very good news about Vinnie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit I was relieved to read it was you and not your horse that was hurt :) (since you aren't badly hurt). Seems humans are easier to fix than horses. Hope you get better quickly and it's great news about your older horse.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...