Sunday, November 14, 2010

Catching Up And Breeches

Fall is a busy time. It's actually my least favorite season because there is so much to do, and so few hours of daylight. It's getting dark here at around 5:30 pm now. I can get stuff done after dark, there are lights outside, but I find that my motivation wanes with the sun. I suppose I might have that "seasonal depression" I see on TV drug commercials. Once it gets dark, all I want to do is go inside, snuggle up on the couch and go to sleep. I think I was really meant to be a hibernating animal. *L*

Anyway, since I'm busy all day and hibernating at night, I've fallen woefully behind on blogging. Spider is doing quite well. He's staying consistently round, still a few bobbles when doing transitions, but otherwise very consistent. I can't remember the last time he tripped. I've started sitting the trot more and more. That's nice, I have a lot more control when I'm sitting. I've never been very good at posting the trot. I have to remember to take a picture of Spider, too. He's filling out quite nicely.

I'm also undertaking a little project. Well, I'm contemplating planning a little project, anyway. I need new breeches. Unfortunately, I have a taste for quality, full seat breeches. My favorite brands are Pikeur (expensive) and Miller (no longer manufactured). My two favorite pairs of breeches both have the same problem: after years of use and abuse, the seats have worn out. But, the fabric is still good. They're my favorites because they fit wonderfully, the fabric is a good weight and they're very comfortable. I just can't bear to let them go. So, I had a cunning plan. I will make new seats! I have a sewing machine. I'm not a particularly talented seamstress, but I'm not starting from scratch, either.

After careful examination of the breeches, it seems pretty straightforward. I can pull the stitching and use the old seats as a template. Now it's just a matter of choosing a material. I'd love to do leather seats. I love leather seats on breeches. But, this is my first time doing this, so I should maybe be conservative. Once you've stitched leather, there's no going back to fix a mistake. If you try to remove the stitching, the holes remain and the piece is ruined. So, I'm thinking synthetic.

I've priced everything out, I can get enough leather or synthetic material for about 5-6 seats for the price of one pair of breeches. Even if I ruin a few yards of material, it's still a good deal. But, like I said, I'm still in the "contemplating planning stage".

Anyone out there ever try this sort of thing? Was it an unmitigated disaster? Or, is the high price of full seat breeches just a racket perpetrated by manufacturers who know that horse people will pay through the nose for stuff?

5 comments:

  1. I say go for it - worst case it doesn't work and best case you probably never buy breeches again! My Mom used to make me breeches when I was younger and we had all sorts of fun with it - she would make the fabric tie dye spandex lol or make the seat leopard print or something. I turned quite a few heads in those wild pants! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, I have a taste for pricey breeches too. My faves are the FITS full seat. Then there's boots lol :)

    Regarding the seasonal depression - are you able to get outside at all during the day? Even 15 minutes a day in sun (without sunglasses) on can be helpful...

    Good luck on your project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see how this turns out. What do you think about turning knee patch breeches into full seat? I have an old pair of Millers that I LOVE the way they fit. I made a mistake in buying an expensive pair that I hate the way they fit but they are full seat. It would be a little more compliczted making the pattern for the full seat BUT now you have my mind going....hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darned if I know...never tried this nor thought much about the price of breeches. I'm a cheap breeches buyer and don't really worry too much about falling in love with a pair.

    I do like the look of the FITS leather seats though, as they appear to have a lot more flexibility than regular full seats.

    I will be very interested to hear how this project turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never contemplated sewing a pair of breeches, but from what I've seen on the ones I have it shouldn't be too hard. I found that I like the ones from Equissentials, they are fitted to your measurements and if the material wears out you can send them back and they will resew the leathers on for you. I'm sure they charge something for this service but not the price of new breeches. Good luck with what you decide to sew.

    I've recently read that most people are deficient in Vitamin D and should take it in the winter since there is little sun to go around. In our area the optimum time for sun exposure is between 11-2 I think, and a lot of us are inside during this time frame. So it makes sense to take some extra D to ward off the hibernation blues. My daughter tried it and she feels better about the time change.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...