Sunday, June 27, 2010

Back In The Saddle

Well, I caved. Spider has been desperate for attention lately, so I got him out to lunge last night. And then I thought, "By the time I get him ready to lunge, I could have saddled and bridled him and I only have a few minutes anyway, what's the point if I can't even do a full lunging session? Besides, I should really find out where we stand, training-wise, so I know what to work on when I'm lunging." It's amazing the rationalizations we can come up with when we want to do something that we know we probably shouldn't.

*Disclaimer- I am an idiot. No one should ever ride a horse two weeks after an abdominal surgery, EVER. So don't be stupid like me, follow your doctors orders and wait the appropriate amount of time before resuming physical activities.

Okay, disclaimer finished, back to my ride. It was GREAT! We only walked. OK, we trotted a couple twenty meter circles, just because he was feeling fresh, but other than that it was only walking.

So, where do we stand training-wise? Forward needs a lot of work. We're both in pretty poor shape, which makes forward difficult. I was pleased with his responsiveness and enthusiasm, though. And I was able to get a pretty good working walk out of him. The ride only lasted about twenty minutes, and most of that was warm-up on a loose rein. We worked on moving off my seat and half-halts on a loose rein. Half-halts aren't really there, but that's to be expected I suppose. I did just have abdominal surgery. I could get a decent half halt when I picked up the reins, but I know I was relying on the reins too much....a very bad habit to get into. So, what's the plan now?


Well, it's hot right now, August hot and it's only June, so there probably won't be much of a plan until this heat wave passes. I'm doing some light yoga twice a day to tone up my abs and loosen up my muscles and joints. Hopefully by next week the weather will be back to normal and I'll be a little more fit. When that happens, my plan will be to lunge in tack, then get on to cool him out. For the cooling out under saddle we'll be walking on a loose rein, working on half halts, steering and my position and seat. The goal is to be back to where we left off by the end of the summer.

By the by, Spider's feet did break up some more, but they chipped evenly all around and now actually look great. I think all the farrier will need to do is some balancing and rasping of edges. It seems I panicked over nothing....as usual.

2 comments:

  1. I don't blame you, and glad it worked out OK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, please be careful. You don't want a hernia.....I know, I know, you didn't do much, but the restrictions placed upon you due to the surgery are not just to make a doctor feel superior!!

    All that being said, glad you had a nice little ride, risky as it was. Spider is a sweetie to be so good for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...