Monday, May 3, 2010

Heat Waves, Spring Shots and Exhaustion

Well, I haven't been geting much done with my horse, training wise. I've been getting him out and lungeing him, but I wouldn't call it "training". It's more of an endurance exercise than anything else. Kind of like one of those automatic exercise pens, except with a human at the center. A hugely pregnant, tired, cranky human. Hugely pregnant, tired, cranky humans make poor horse trainers.

On the bright side, Spider is getting pretty fit. I lunge him in side reins and have been concentrating on making him go forward. I don't care what gait it is, as long as his hind end is moving. Since it's easier for him to be forward and round at faster gaits, he spends a lot of time cantering around. It's his own choice, I just go along with it. It's bad training, I know....I should be making him listen to me and only allowing him to canter when I ask for it, but sometimes I just don't have the energy to argue. Besides, at least one of us has to be fit when I start riding him again...and it certainly won't be me. This way, while the obedience may be lacking, at least the muscle tone will be there. I don't think it will be much of a problem, anyway. Spider isn't really a disobedient horse. He doesn't always understand things, but he always tries to do what is asked of him (or what he thinks was asked of him).

All in all, the last week has been a bit of a wash. Spider got the day off after his spring shots, and has had additional days off because of the ridiculously warm weather. I like the heat, but not this early in the year. None of the horses have finished shedding out yet, and they suffer when it's nearly 90 F. On the bright side, the extra hair probably gives them a little protection from the plague of mosquitos.

The coming week promises to be a bit milder....maybe I'll get something done. Or maybe not.

2 comments:

  1. At least it's warm... still freezing here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on this one, and I don't even have the excuse of being pregnant! Too hot and I just don't have the motivation...and the mosquitoes!! Oh, my. I can't recall having a plague of them like this so early in the year.... My Boys are in their flysheets and still hide out in the barn after dusk.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...