Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Love Affair Has Ended


This is my dump cart. When I first got my dump cart, I loved it. With it, I could pick up an entire pasture's worth of poo in a single trip. And it had a handy dump mechanism, so I could dump the poo quickly and easily. It was love at first dump. But, like any love affair, time and familiarity have cooled my passion. I have started to notice the flaws in my dump cart. Mainly, the dump mechanism doesn't always catch properly. I have to be very careful to make sure the bed is latched properly or the cart will spontaneously dump while I'm driving it around. It's tedious and sometimes annoying, but still functional.

Since today was a beautiful spring day, but tomorrow and the rest of the week are supposed to be rainy, I figured a good pasture picking was in order. I hooked up my cart, grabbed the pitch fork and headed for the pastures to make the most of the good weather.

So there I was, happily picking up poo piles, when suddenly I heard a crash behind me. I looked back. To my horror, half a cart full of freshly picked poo was now spread back over the pasture, trailing behind the upended cart. The blankety-blank mechanism had tripped and dumped my load! But, I figured I just hadn't checked the latch. So I put the bed back down, made sure the latch was secure and re-loaded the poo. Satisfied that the mechanism was indeed secure, I continued on my merry way.

I managed to get two pastures fully picked. The cart was piled high with manure and I only had a few more piles to go. Then I hit a bump. Then I heard a crash. Then I was unhappy. My full load was now spread back out in the pasture and an hour or so of work was wasted. So, I did the only sensible thing one can do in such a situation. I got off the mower and started kicking the dump cart while calling it every nasty name I could think of. Then I went to get the tractor to use the front end loader to scoop up my errant poo, since there was no way I was going to pick it all up by hand again. Unfortunately, the front end loader is smaller than the dump cart, so it took three trips to get it cleaned up. And the loader doesn't have much finesse, so I ended up having to rake up and load a lot of the poo by hand, but I got the job done......eventually.

I'm going to have to figure out a way to rig the cart so that if the mechanism trips the bed can't dump. In true rural fashion, I'm sure my "fix" will involve baling twine. Perhaps if I tied the bed down to the frame?

Why is it that everything is always broken on a farm?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, so typical....baling twine should to the trick. I think that's why it was invented in the first place....the heck with holding hay bales together. *Sigh*

    Been there, so I am completely sympathetic. And tractor is not, as you say the ideal solution because you simply cannot pick up everything with the loader...you do have to do some shoveling. Bummer!!

    I spent part of the day baling twining fence rails to a metal corral panel to fence off part of the arena where a fence post that had been cut short and cemented in had fallen out. Now I have a hole with cement in it, and need to find a full length post to put there and....well, having a farm consists of constant repair...I fear. And yet, having the horses at home is such a joy otherwise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARGH how annoying. I totally agree with the whole kicking and yelling method. I find that works well! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same dump cart and I have to say I thought it would be a life saver. No more wheel barrows full of poo pushed around by me. I'd hook up the dump cart to the 4-wheeler and my life would be 100 x's easier. In a way it is easier but on the other hand it is such a huge pain in the butt. The locking mechenism is faulty on my also but it doesn't spontaneously dump I just have to kick and wrestle it to latch and unlatch. My biggest problem with it is the pin. I cannot find a pin that works right. I have to balance the poo just right or while I driving along the whole cart falls off and gets left behind...grrr. I have called the thing every name in the book. And doesn it actually dump? Nooooo I have to shovel so much of it out by hand I sometimes wonder how much work it really saves me. I for one am hoping to get a new one soon and one that is self balancing and actually dumps. Sorry to ramble on but there is someone out there that understands my dump cart frustrations and that kind of excites me :)!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...