Saturday, April 10, 2010

I Love Craigslist


See that? That is the rubber footing for my arena. I parked the truck next to the pile as a reference for how big it is. We guess-timated it at about 9 tons of footing, based on the carrying capacity of the pickup and the number of trips it took to get it all here. And guess what? We got it off Craigslist for $300. That's right.....three hundred dollars. I'm still in shock. I'm not just going to have a proper arena, I'm going to have a super-duper arena! Now that we've saved so much on the rubber, we can spend a little more on prepping the site, maybe even get a professional quality surface. Spider's going to be one spoiled horse. I hope it doesn't go to his head.

As far as training goes, I haven't been getting a lot done. This business of manufacturing a human being (aka being pregnant) is really wearing me out. I do get out every day to groom everyone,since their winter coats are shedding and itchy. It's also a good chance to practice a bit of handling exercises with them. I've put them into a sort of "Ground Manners Boot Camp". While I'm out of commission having a baby, my non-horsey husband will be taking care of them. They need a refresher so they can be on their best behavior for him. They aren't what I would call naughty, but they could easily overwhelm an inexperienced handler. Vinny in particular can get pushy at feeding time. He understands and respects that I'm not to be pushed around, but I know he will try to get one over on my husband. When it gets closer to my due date, I'll start having my husband feed them while I supervise, so they can get used to him and he can get used to their shenanigans.

I did manage to get a short long-lining session in with Spider on Saturday and a good lunging session today, so we are doing something training-wise. I think tomorrow I'll introduce some cavaletti to the routine. I'd like to get him a little more collected and working through his back before we return to the long-lines. I have a pretty good idea of what I want from him and what I need to accomplish it, it's just a matter of doing it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! What a deal on the rubber. Wish I could find one like that, but I'd need delivery as I have no truck and no muscle to fill it. I'll have to check Craigslist now and again, I guess. I never thought of that.

    Good luck getting the ponies into "hubby" mode. It will make everything so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I'm super excited for your arena and you live so far away that I'll never even see it in person, much less ride in it.

    Oh, the wonders of the internet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...