Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Excavation



We finally broke ground on the new arena! We haven't gotten too much done yet, but it's a start. Since we only have 5 acres, we only have a small tractor. It's fine for day to day things on our little hobby farm, but it takes a little longer to do big jobs.

My original prediction about our soil was correct, we won't need to truck in stone to build the base. So, once we've got the site scraped and leveled, we'll just need sand to add to our steal of a deal rubber and we'll be all set. I can't wait! Particularly since I can't lunge Spider back there now, there's too many stones and the ground is really hard. He's still barefoot, and will probably remain barefoot until after I have the baby. His front feet have a few cracks and he had a chip in his right hind hoof, but other than that he seems to be doing well.

What with all the construction, I haven't gotten much done with Spider. He has been getting better about "allowing" the other horses to be taken out and groomed, we've been working on that. Well, I don't know if I'd call it "working", I take the others out and ignore his temper tantrums. The tantrums are getting milder, though, so it's having a positive effect. He's figured out that the place where I tie the horses is right outside one of the stall windows, so he shoves his nose up to the bars and blows and snorts at me while I have the others out. I'll have to remember to take a picture of him doing it, it's quite comical.

Related Posts:
Demolition Begins

3 comments:

  1. Spider is a nut! (In a good way, of course). I'm still excited for your arena. How exciting! And the baby is due soon... like June, right? Big changes headed your way. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess Spider has decided you are "his girl" and no one else's. *lol*

    Great start on the arena! I will be really interested to hear how it all works out once the rubber is down. It's something I'd love to have to add to my arena too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of your arena under construction. I've been wanting one of those forever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...