Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I Got An Award!


Kate, of the blog A Year With Horses, and Nina, of Adventures with Super Sam, have both bestowed on me the Beautiful Blogger Award. So now I get to pass it on. I'm fairly new to this blogging thing, so finding 15 blogs to pass it on to was a bit of a challenge! But I had a lot of fun exploring the blogging world and finding new blogs to follow so now I'll pass them on to my readers. But first I'm supposed to list seven interesting things about myself. Which was a lot harder than finding 15 interesting blogs, by the way.

1. I have a neurologic abnormality called synesthesia. It occurs when, at sometime during development, the brain's wiring becomes crossed and two aspects of its function that should be separate are combined. For me, language and vision are combined. I "see" words, numbers and letters as single colors or patterns of color. Even more odd, I had no clue that I had this condition until I learned about it in my undergraduate neurobiology class. I remember sitting in class thinking, "Wait, that's not normal?" Ha! I thought everyone thought in colors.

2. I'm allergic to monkeys. I get very odd looks from medical personnel the first time they read my chart. Then they always ask, "Does this say monkeys?". It's apparently not a common allergy. So, if you're allergic to monkeys give me a shout out in the comments. We can start a support group or something.

3. I have a bit of ADD when it comes to my career. I have, at various times in my life, been a veterinary technician, a horse trainer, an instructor at a university, the director of a research facility and I'm currently a stay at home mom. I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up, but since I don't plan on ever growing up, I'm not too worried about it.

4. I crochet. A lot. But I don't usually ever finish a project. The only things I've ever finished are baby blankets and little stuffed animals. My sewing room is filled with the carnage of my unfinished projects.

5. My family have been horsemen for as many generations as we can remember. There have been cavalry officers, real cowboys on the range, show jumpers, rodeo queens, ropers, endurance riders, dressage riders and trick riders. We're a very diverse bunch of yahoos.

6. According to Google, I'm the only person in the world with my name. Well, the only person on the internet, anyway. So I always use my name when I create domains and email addresses because it's pretty much guaranteed that no one else has it yet. Plus, I'm not really that clever when it comes to thinking up names. I suppose it's an identity hazard or something, but I don't have anything to hide and no one wants my credit anyway.

7. I minored in Russian language in college. It's pretty much the most useless thing you could minor in. But if my life ever depended on being able to make small-talk in Russian, I wouldn't die. So long as the person I was speaking to doesn't talk too fast, my Russian is a little rusty.

And now, on to the Blogs! These are all blogs that I enjoy immensely. Not all are horse related, but most are. So here they are, in no particular order:

Horses of Follywoods- Jean is a great equestrienne with years of experience under her belt. She has a gentle, no-nonsense approach to training a horse that I really admire. And she's a great story-teller, too!

Mandy's Life After 30- This one's not horse related, but Mandy is a great friend of mine (and a fellow Louisiana transplant). She's chronicling her adventures with a toddler, turning 30 and and just general family life. And she's doing it with more wit and grace than I could ever muster!

Sprinkler Bandit- Details the training of a young Oldenburg mare and the trials and tribulations that go along with training any young horse. Sprinkler Bandit handles it all and manages to keep a great sense of humor!

Riding Instructor's Diary- The diary of a riding instructor with a horse in rehab. A great read all around.

All Around Horses- A fun blog about farm life and horses. And some great tips on how to make stuff for your horse, too!

Deserts and Beyond- This one is fairly new to me, I just discovered it thanks to the Beautiful Blogger Award that's being passed around. The photos are stunning and the writing is excellent.

Beautiful Mustang- Another new one to me, but also with great pictures and stories. She's chronicling the gentling of a mustang named Beautiful- a fascinating journey to be sure!

Tango Dressage Blog- Featuring Suzanne King, a professional trainer based out of Georgia. A great read, Suzanne has loads of no-nonsense, practical advice to impart and she's very interactive with her audience, too!

Confessions of a Struggling Dressage Rider- A blog by an adult amateur who discovered dressage later in life. Full of humor and well written.

Once Upon a Dressage Dream- Full of insights and great quotes from the masters!

A Year With Horses- Kate is a kind, thoughtful horseperson and a great photographer and writer, too. She also has loads of other blogs on such varied topics as cooking and finance, too. All great to read and informative!

Adventures With Super Sam- A great blog from Down Under. Nina writes about her journey with Super Sam and her search for a Schoolmaster.

Mrs. Jen Peters- A great food blog and a good friend of mine, too. Jen has awesome recipes and is a huge promoter of local farmers and responsible, sustainable living.

My Four Legged Friends- A 16 year old aspiring trainer with three horses. She's doing a great job with young horses.

Buckskin and Bay- A really good journal of an adult rider with two horses. Very well written and thoughtful.

Whew, all that linking was tiring...I think I need a nap.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind comments about my blog.

    The synethesia is fascinating. I wonder how many of us have unique brain/thinking patterns without realizing it.

    I do have to laugh about the crocheting. I have several bags of fabric and patterns and some pieces even cut out, of unfinished sewing projects. Wonder if there's any connection to owning horses that might make us somewhat dysfunctional on the follow through with the more mundane hobbies of life? *G*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, YES, thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate it! Our son learned Russian at UC Davis. Quite a few Russians live in that area and he picked it up on his own, then took some classes while he was there. He tried to teach me, but I couldn't make the sounds! He also speaks fluent German. And, thanks for recommending the other blogs! I'm busy checking them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not allergic to monkey's but I'm "semi" allergic to horses. My Dr. told me that it wasn't possible and that people were either fully allergic or not to horses. I'm the first person in his 25 years that was "semi"

    www.wildponybeast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations for your award!!!

    So many blogs, I had no idea that were so many out there.
    I am off reading, I am not sure I can keep up tho ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could read Russian. I love Russian literature, and I have a nerdy dream of being able to read it in the original language. But, as you point out, there aren't a lot of practical applications for it, especially in this part of the country.

    Thanks for the link, and I did add you to my list today. So sorry I forgot...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...