Monday, March 8, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy...

The weather has been beautiful. Spring is right around the corner now. Which means there are preparations to be made. In the fall I put a layer of used bedding and manure over the gardens and now it needs to be turned in. The cool season veggies need to be started as soon as I've got the beds turned. Pastures need to be seeded, manure needs picking and I still need to finish Matilda-proofing the fence. The little devil escaped again, so she's back in the chicken coop. This time it was my fault, we had reset a post and accidentally cemented the ground pole for the fence, so the fence wasn't actually hot. It's just a matter of putting in new ground poles.

We got so much snow this winter that there are still patches of it lingering. Mostly they seem to be lingering in my arena, of course. The arena is bordered by the barn on one side, the garage on the other and woods on the remaining two sides, which caused snow to collect in drifts in it. It takes some time to melt all that. I've been raking it a bit, which seems to be helping.

In the meantime, I've been taking everyone out to groom and graze in the lawn a bit every day. It helps them get in the habit of doing something again. Well, really Spider is the only one who needs to get back into the swing of work, but I can't take him out to graze and not everyone else. So, everybody gets to come out.

So that's what I've been up to. It's not the most exciting stuff, but satisfying nonetheless.

Related Posts:
Why Is That Pony In The Chicken Coop?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you have quite a list to get done. It sounds like a lot of work. Does Matilda drive? I vote for hooking her up to the rake so she can do the garden and the arena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope spring isn't just teasing us. It was over 50 here today, sunny and dry.

    I am slowly starting to do some of the chores neglected due to winter as well. It is a lot of work, but as you say, satisfying. Just anticipating the good weather puts a good spin on it all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...