Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chores, Chores And More Chores


I'm so sick of snow. And the weather forecast is calling for more, so I'm battening down the hatches. I've got water stockpiled for the horses, just in case we lose power again. Although, with the forecast calling for around two feet of snow, water is probably the least of my concerns. The horses will eat snow if they need to. The boys actually like to eat snow. I suppose it's a novelty for them, they spent most of their lives as pampered "barn horses". Now they're roughing it out in the country. They have access to their stalls, but are never locked in them. I prefer to let them make the choice of whether they want to be in or out. Most of the time they choose out. So much for the people who say show horses can't live outside!

In other news, my book on long-lining came today. The bio in the cover says the author, Jennie Loriston-Clarke, is a British Olympic Dressage Rider. I've never heard of her, but seeing as how I'm largely out of touch with the happenings of the dressage scene, that doesn't mean much. The book itself seems promising. There's lots of pictures, I like pictures. All the horse in the pictures are going in a relaxed, more natural frame, even those doing upper level work. I like that, too. She details everything from introducing the horse to lungeing and working on long reins to advanced stuff. There's a picture of a horse doing tempis on the the long-lines. I think Spider and I will try that tomorrow.

Ha! Spider and I still haven't gotten past a walk on the long-reins, tempis are a long way away. I think I'll begin by reading the chapter entitled "Long-Reining The Young Horse". It seems like a good place to start.


That's Vinny, my 24 year old retired FEI schoolmaster, in the picture. He's looking very cute because he knows there are treats in my coat pocket.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry about the snow. I don't know if we will be hit hard up here too, but I am getting ready as well. Bummer. Hate winter.

    I have a longlining book around here too but I don't think it's hers. I'll have to dig it out.

    The Spanish Riding school trainers do the tempis on the lines and it's amazing. I played a bit with Toby, (he does tempis under saddle) but never got anywhere near that kind of control. Regardless, it's a wonderful goal to aspire to!

    It is a fabulous way to start a young horse and great training for later in the career. I think you are going to enjoy the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...