Thursday, January 28, 2010

To Ride, Or Not To Ride

That is the question.
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of unfit horses,
Or to take arms against a sea of poo piles and, by picking, end them.

The Bard is currently rolling over in his grave at that heinous bastardization of his lovely prose. Poor Shakespeare!

Anyway, that bit of Hamlet I "modified" illustrates the dilemma I faced today. It was a nice day, in the 40s F. There was a light breeze, but nothing too strong. The ground wasn't frozen, neither were the poo piles. But tomorrow and the next several days promise to be below freezing. So, I faced the dilemma of every farm owner/rider. Do I ride the horse, or do the chores? I only have about an hour and a half to do anything while my daughter naps, so doing both is really out of the question. In the end I took the less fun/more responsible option and picked the pastures. I can always ground drive the horse if the ground is frozen. If the poo is frozen there is absolutely no way to chisel that stuff up.

My back is doing a bit better today. I've upped my workout routine to pilates twice a day and yoga whenever I feel out of whack, which is pretty often. Although it seems counter-intuitive, with a back problem like mine more exercise is actually a better treatment than rest. The exercises help strengthen and train my muscles to support my weak joints, restore correct posture and re-align my spine. It's almost like a mini-chiropractic adjustment!

It sounds like the wind is picking up outside, bringing the cold air with it. I was kind of hoping that weather report was wrong.........

3 comments:

  1. Glad your back is feeling better - I too find that more exercise rather than less is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, the forecast was all too correct. I just came in from late feed (11PM) and it is miserably cold out there.

    I can assure you, the poo is once again frozen in solid lumps. Fortunately, over the last week or so I cleaned most of the riding arena area so that, at least, is relatively pooless....

    Even though I have the time, I usually end up choosing either major chores or riding myself. I don't always have the stamina to do both. I admire you, despite being pregnant and having a bad back, you're still getting all that work done. You are going to be very fit.

    Try to stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered how you squeezed in horses between having a daughter and being pregnant. You're an impressive multi-tasker; most moms I know are all too ready for a nap themselves when their kids go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...