Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Oh, The Joys Of Country Life!

Don't get me wrong, I love living in the country. There are, however, a few trade-offs for my pastoral existence. Mainly: Municipal Utilities.

Southern NJ experienced a windstorm of Biblical proportions Sunday night, knocking out power to much of the area. The power company managed to get most everybody's power back on by Monday morning.....except my little corner of the woods. We were without power until Tuesday morning. For us, no power means no heat, no water, no stove/oven...no anything. Which actually isn't so much of a problem for me, I have no problem "roughing it". But the horses were a different story.

Without power, the electric pump on our well doesn't work. Without the pump, there's no way to get water out of the ground and to the horses. Luckily, I had filled their tubs on Sunday night before the power went out. Unluckily, Monday was unseasonably warm and they drank a lot more than usual. By Monday night I was getting nervous. I warned my husband that we might have to go to the supermarket and buy all the bottled water for the horses. But Atlantic City Electric came through in the nick of time! The power was back on before their tubs ran out.

Whew! Can you imagine if my horses ever found out there was a such thing as purified bottled water? Those Prima Donnas would never go back to tap water again!

Today's task is finding all the things that blew away and returning them to where they belong. It's a long list, including trash cans (and the trash that was in them), garden pots and the cushions from my patio furniture. If I get all that done, I might get a ride in.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch. I'm glad that worked out ok. I was going to ask if you had neighbors you could impose upon, but I guess if your power is out, theirs is too... hm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason we didn't get the wind or the heavier storms up here. Must have passed south again.

    I always worry about the power and the water as I am in a similar situation. I have several large containers of water on the back porch just in case. And if a storm is on the way, all the tubs get filled and I will fill more containers.

    I can do without the electricity, but when your water requires and electric pump to get it out of the ground, it puts a different perspective on things.

    Had a vet one time who said for my horse's best health, I should just give them bottled water. Can you believe it? The water tub holds 50 gallons and my three Boys at least half empty in in a day!

    Glad you power is back on in the nick of time. But, some big plastic containers of emergency water might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...