Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Aches and Pains

It was cold today. Cold to me, anyway....below 40 F. And my back is acting up, so after my standard chores I went back to the house to wallow in self-pity. Well, not really. One simply cannot wallow in self-pity with a toddler in the house.

Several years ago I fell off a horse and broke my back, since then I have had problems with it. My left sciatic nerve was damaged in the fall, along with several other nerves, leaving me with quite a bit of nerve pain. I also suffered damage to the ligaments in my pelvis, resulting in a general instability of my lower back. The solution to this is to build up the muscles in my abdomen to stabilize my back. To this end, I practice yoga and pilates. Unfortunately, the physical and physiological changes of pregnancy are slowly undoing all my hard work. My expanding belly is pulling my lower back forward beyond what my poor stretched out abdominal muscles can compensate for. During pregnancy, a woman's ligaments soften and become more lax to allow the pelvis to widen. My poor ligaments are already compromised, softening them just results in more instability and more back pain. The only thing for it is to keep moving and keep working out, I just have to pay extra close attention to my posture to be sure I'm not arching my back. Not an easy task when you've got a pot belly.

On the bright side, in four months time I'll lose 15 pounds and one pot belly in a day and my back will be back to normal fairly quickly. Plus, I get to take home a baby. You can't beat that!

2 comments:

  1. Ouch.

    My knee doctor does prolotherapy which can tighten loose ligaments. I know he works on backs as well as knees.

    his website: www.dremagaziner.com Might be something to look into after the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have recovered well. I don't remember seeing your post about the accident, but I'm impressed at your determination to keep on going. Hang in there. Only 4(wow!) months left.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...