Thursday, November 12, 2009

There's No Fool Like An Old Fool.....Again!


Thursday morning I had a loose horse. Luckily, it wasn't as dramatic as it sounds. Let me set the scene for you........

It was a rainy, cold, windy and generally miserable morning. The kind of weather that isn't usually conducive to mischief. I fed the horses, dropped them some hay, then went to clean the stalls. As I was picking, I heard a clank from behind me, coming from the general area of the pasture gate. I didn't really think much of it, as I knew the gate had swung shut behind me. It was probably just the wind swinging the gate, causing it to clang. As I moved to the next stall, I saw something odd out of the corner of my eye. It was Vinny, standing in my back yard, gleefully devouring my lawn! The gate must not have latched properly when I closed it. Horrified, I quickly glanced around for the other two horses. Spider was licking the last remnants of his breakfast out of his bowl and Matilda was happily munching on her hay, both of them were completely oblivious to the fact that there had been an escape. I quickly grabbed a handful of hay and a halter and went out the gate, hoping to catch him before the others noticed anything was amiss.

Vinny eyeballed me suspiciously as I approached. I held out my handful of hay. He looked at it for a moment, then trotted away and continued grazing. It was going to take more than a meager handful of hay to lure him back inside the fence. So back to the barn I trudged to get a bucket and some grain. Vinny is quite fat and thus doesn't get any grain, so I knew that would be a treat he would consider being caught for. Halter and bucket full of grain in hand and muttering every curse I could think of, I went to go capture the old fool.

Unfortunately, the old man is a wily beast. While he was perfectly willing to come eat the grain out of my bucket, he was not letting me get anywhere near him with the halter. We played cat and mouse for a few minutes, with me trying to slip the halter on and him nimbly eluding me every time. I realized this was not going to work, Vinny was far to smart to allow himself to be caught so easily. The other two horses were still not paying any attention to what was going on outside the fence, so I made a bold decision.

I took my bucket back to the pasture and went inside, leaving the gate open in my wake, hoping Vinny would follow me through. He followed me up to the gate, then stopped at the threshold. He knew what I was up to. I could see the wheels turning in his head. Should he go through? On one side was freedom and an acre of juicy lawn. On the other side, a coveted treat of grain. I shook the bucket one final time and his decision was made. He trotted through the gate and over to his feed tub. I heaved a sigh of relief and slammed the gate behind me, double checking to be sure it latched properly.

As I dumped the grain in his bucket he gave me a final look of contempt, just to let me know that he was doing me a favor by coming back in. We both knew he didn't have to.

Needless to say, I check to be sure the gate is latched frequently now.

2 comments:

  1. Very funny - he sounds like a smart old guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love the oldies!!!!! They keep us on our toes! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...