Wednesday, October 7, 2009

There's No Fool Like An Old Fool!


Life's been getting in the way of riding for the last two days. I keep telling Life to go away and let me ride my horse, but it's a pesky critter.

Spider is settling in nicely. He's loving the fact that he gets attention from me every single day, morning and night. He's always been a bit of a Mama's boy. My old Schoolmaster, Vinny, seems to have gotten a bit of the jealous bug, though. Before Spider came he was the King, but now he has to share the spotlight. I make sure they both get an equal share of the lovin', but that's not quite good enough for Vinny.

Feeding time is especially contentious. Spider gets seperated from the other two, since he gets a lot more grain than they do and eats slower. Really, the other two only get grain so they don't feel left out. They're both very easy keepers.

The usual routine goes like this: Vinny and Matilda get their handful of grain, then I grab Spider and take him to another paddock to eat his grain while Vinny and Matilda are distracted. The paddocks are three strand electric rope, the top wire is 5 ft from the ground. The paddock gate is just an extension of the ropes. Each strand has a handle on it that attaches to a post, allowing for all three strands to be taken down or put up at will. The downside to this, as I learned today, is that it takes a few minutes to get all three strands back up. Which allows for much mischief.

Vinny finished his breakfast in record time this morning and decided to cruise over to steal Spider's. I had only managed to get the top strand connected back, but since Vinny is 16.2 hands (5.5 ft), I figured that would hold him back. As I turned back to the gate, second strand in hand, I was greeted by the sight of my 23 year old, 16.2 hand, extremely fat and out of shape Schoolmaster crouched down like a leopard crawling under the 5 ft tall strand of electric fence! Before I could regain my composure, he was off like a shot for Spider's food dish. Poor Spider! He really had no idea how to react to the sight of a big grey tub of lard barreling down on him to steal his breakfast. Being the polite gentleman that he is, he stepped out of the way and let the Old Man have his food. Fortunately for Spider, I was in hot pursuit and caught Vinny up before Spider lost much of his breakfast. I returned the old fart to the other paddock and gave him a flake of hay to keep him occupied while Spider finished.

Moral of the story: Never underestimate the athleticism of a 23 year old retired FEI horse. Especially if there's food involved!

1 comment:

  1. Gee, sounds like all that athletic dressage training Vinny had really helped him develop some practical life skills. *LOL*

    I have to keep close tabs on Tucker when I feed because he's always ready to steal some from someone else...Chance mostly. Similar image...except big bay tub of lard...etc.

    Trying to keep the peace between two "mama's" boys can be a challenge. I always try to share the treats equally. Must be how it is raising children. *G*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...