Monday, October 26, 2009

An Attractive Nuisance

I've always rather liked the term "attractive nuisance". It's used to describe things on a person's property that may attract trespassers, such as trampolines, swimming pools and horses. I think it's one of the most fitting descriptions ever devised for a horse. There have been many occasions when I should have been getting something important done, but I was distracted by my attractive nuisances and ended up wasting the day playing with them instead. Like this Sunday, for instance.

Saturday it rained, but Sunday was nice. I had loads of chores that needed to get done and only one day to do them. So, instead of doing my chores, I saddled up my attractive nuisance. Spider seems to be feeling much better. A little too much better, in fact. He was very nicely forward, but wanting to blast through my half halts. I made him do small circles and lots of lateral work to slow down the tempo and make him think about what I was asking from him. He did the canter transitions without hesitation, from trot and from walk. I was quite pleased with that. Overall, we didn't really work on anything new or difficult as I hadn't ridden him since Tuesday and I'm still feeling a little funky from the sinus infection.

Thanks for the suggestions last week. By popular vote, I've decided to get myself a set of long lines. They'll arrive along with Spider's Smartpak for next month. I would have had them delivered sooner, but I can't pass up the flat rate shipping. I'm kind of a cheapskate like that. I haven't worked with long lines in a very long time, so this should be interesting.... to say the least. Hopefully it's like riding a bike, which I also haven't done in a very long time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of long lines/ground driving - works for lots of things. Glad you got in a good ride - that's what horses (aka attractive nuisances) are for - so we can have fun avoiding chores we're supposed to be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated by people who are good with long lines. I saw a diagram for doing figure eights that looked hopelessly complicated, so I'll just admire from a distance for now. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good, productive Sunday to me!! Then again, I too have attractive nuisances....*G*

    Three cheers for the long lines. If you've done it before, you'll catch on quickly again. As I said, I usually work mostly on the circle but I've done lots of other work at the walk as I can't really run behind.

    Then again, if you happen to read my post from today you will see that a goofball Thoroughbred on the end of a set of long lines can be a bit of a challenge at times. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...