Friday, September 25, 2009

Lateral Work and Slacking


I've been slacking a little this week, I've only ridden 3 times. Right now the biggest roadblock in my pursuit of perfection is my horse's fitness level. I know he is capable of doing most of the 3rd level work, but with him (and me) being out of shape the finesse just isn't there and the work is inconsistent. I really need to work harder on getting out and riding. I know he has issues with his hocks and stifles, and I know the best thing for his issues is consistent exercise. What I need is a 36 hour day. And some sort of IV caffeine delivery system!


I've been doing a ton of lateral work lately. I like lateral work because A) it helps with suppleness, B) it helps with collection and C) I think it's really fun to say "renvers" and "travers". I've also found that with the older fellows (Spider is 14) a simple walk-trot-canter warm-up just doesn't get their creaky joints flowing anymore.

So we've been doing travers, renvers, shoulder in and leg yields pretty consistently. Half pass is still hit or miss. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. It all depends on whether or not he's really in front of my leg...... Doesn't everything?

3 comments:

  1. There is "slacker" in the air, I fear. I too have been a victim. As one of my old trainers used to say, "The horse doesn't care." My guys mostly just prefer hanging around nibbling grass anyhow.

    But, the nicer weather and end to the bug brigades might inspire us both. We can only hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about fitness helping with soundness if there are hock or stifle issues - my mare Maisie has both. I haven't been riding as often as I should either - partly the weather and partly because I've been working with Dawn as well - need to get back to it before the weather shuts me down - we have no indoor :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh No, Slacking is contagious! I think we're all in the same boat...no indoor. We must make the best of the fall, it's going to be our only chance for motivation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...