Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Over the Hill

I have officially become old! What brought on this epiphany, you ask?. Sunday I was playing with my daughter, swinging her up and down over my head and crawling around on the floor chasing her. She and I had loads of fun. Then on Monday I awoke feeling as though I had been run over by a truck. As I attempted to get my protesting body out of bed I had a sudden realization: I am no longer a spring chicken. Perhaps it's time to step up my exercise routine accordingly.

In a former lifetime, when I worked with horses professionally, I never had to worry about these things. I was the Barn Manager at a 20 stall training facility, there were stalls to clean and horses to ride every day. A work-out routine was the farthest thing from my mind. Fast forward to now: I have a desk job, a one year old daughter and a bad back. I need to exercise!

That's not to say I don't exercise at all. I try to do some Yoga stretches every morning and Pilates several times a week. And farm life brings it's own unique work-out routine: weeding, planting, cleaning stalls and chicken coops, fixing fences and unloading feed (oh, the joy!). But it just doesn't seem to be enough anymore. I just don't feel as strong and fit as I did way back when, and I think it really shows in my riding.

The easy solution would be to ride more, but I can barely squeeze in a ride four times a week and I only have one horse to ride anyway. So it looks like I'll have to revamp my exercise routine. We'll see how it goes........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...