Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Good Day And A Bad Day

The weather finally cleared up here, and I got a chance to ride. In the nick of time, too. I was about to Google "methadone for horse withdrawl!"

Friday was a good day. I worked a lot on getting Spider into the right rein by getting him to reach under with his left hind. We did leg yields, turns on the forehand and shoulder in. He was resistant at first, but soon was going nicely. We finished up with some counter-canter and flying changes. I probably should have worked on simple changes, but it just didn't feel like a good time for them. I'm a big believer in riding the horse I'm on, and Spider just didn't feel up to simple changes that day. All in all, it was a satisfactory ride.

This morning I got on him planning to do more of the same, plus work on simple changes. But he was a bit off. Not visibly lame anywhere, but just off. I really couldn't get a good feel for exactly what was bothering him, but he was short behind and reluctant to cross over. I tried some leg yields and shoulder-ins at the walk, then did some trot in a loose frame hoping to work him out of his stiffness. No luck, he still felt off. I think (or at least I'm hoping) he's just a bit sore from the work yesterday. So we called it a day. I washed him down with some linament and gave him a good massage.

We'll try again tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Frustrating. My PJ used to have issues like that. Then I started having him acupunctured and it made a world of difference. If it is muscle soreness keep that in mind if it becomes a chronic problem.

    Meantime, a good massage and the liniment should do the trick. I'll be checking up on you tomorrow for some better news.

    I hate those mysterious "off" feelings. Nothing you can quite pinpoint...just off.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...