Monday, August 17, 2009

Better

It finally cooled off after sundown last night, so I was able to get out and ride. I don't know what I'd do without arena lights!

Spider felt much better. He was still a little short behind, but we were able to work through it. I'm going to chalk it up to muscle soreness. I've really been concentrating on collected work and transitions lately, so I'm sure his haunches are sore. I know my abs are sore! We did a lot of lateral work in walk, trot and canter to get those hind legs loosened up and moving. It wasn't the best work, but the important thing was to push through and get him moving and we did that.

I suppose we're getting into a delicate point in his training. The work is getting harder and I'm asking more and more of him. There's a fine line between working through some muscle soreness and souring a horse on the work. Luckily we're starting to get into fall, the weather should soon cool and the flies will die down. Then we'll be able to get out of the arena some. A change of scenery will do us both some good!

3 comments:

  1. Just catching up....read your post about your back. You were one lucky lady to recover so well from that.

    Side note here: I have an excellent knee doctor who does therapies for stretched ligaments and other injuries. Check out his website: www.dremagaziner.com I am in the video on the front page. Don't know who might do such treatment down there, but PRP and prolotherapy have been a lifesaver for me.

    Yes, the heat and the bugs! My friend in the Fort Dix area said the B52 flies were attacking her horses like crazy. She may have to bring them in early from turnout during the day. And the heat!! Arena lights are a blessing for night rides in the summer, that's for sure. And best, the mosquitoes seem to like them too and go up to see the light instead of us.

    Wishing you more cool nights...and an end to this heat wave. Hope Spider's muscles feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that link Jean! I may have to take a trip up there to see him.
    Spider's on night turnout because of the heat. Vinny and Matilda come and go as they please, but I've noticed they're staying in their stalls during the day as well. It's not fit out for man nor beast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, if you do decide to come on up, let me know. He's not far from me and perhaps we can meet. Now that I'm retired I have lots of spare time! *G*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...